Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Acquired an 88 Camry Wagon the other day and noticed last night the seat belts don't lock when you quickly pull them. Thought it might be the emergency seat belt release but not sure. Just wondering if anyone knows how I could fix it or has any experience with the issue.

Also, the door locks seem to be super stuff, not sure if it's just because my key is worn or? Basically haven't been locking it because I don't want to break the key. Tried spraying some silicone spray in there to help but didn't seem to do anything

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,093 Posts
Mine don't lock either with fast tugs (and haven't on any of the Camrys I have owned). They do have inertial locks though. Try pulling on them while braking fairly hard - that will lock them. The rears lock with quick tugs, I believe (non inertia reel type). I have rolled one of these, years ago, and the seatbelts did their job well enough...

The keys get worn very fast on these. You will need to get new keys cut with the key number (can't just copy your current one - it will have the same problems!). I think you can get the number off at least one of the lock cylinders for that. Another fun side effect - most (worn) Toyota keys from that era will start your car. Fun times.

-Charlie

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Ah interesting thanks, appreciate it!

This should be very similar as a lot of toyota used the same style of lock and similar way to remove door panels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.