Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm having an issue with my 88 Camry - I can insert the key, however, it will not turn. I have been able to get around this with WD40, but it is still an issue. Would I just have to replace the Ignition Cylinder? If so, how hard is that to do and how much should the part cost?

Thanks!

:p:

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i'm guessing your using the wd-40 as starting fluid? the ingnition coild should be rather easy to change, it just held in by a few bolts and 2 wires attached. also sounds like your not getting enough fule, have you tryed changing the fule filter? well more what have you also tryed to help the car more info the less other bits you would get ;)

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,917 Posts
chronoti said:
i'm guessing your using the wd-40 as starting fluid? the ingnition coild should be rather easy to change, it just held in by a few bolts and 2 wires attached. also sounds like your not getting enough fule, have you tryed changing the fule filter? well more what have you also tryed to help the car more info the less other bits you would get ;)
He's talking about the key, not the engine ignition system...

How worn is your key? You may be able to get a new key cut at the dealer that could solve your problems.

-Charlie

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had the EXACT same problem with my '88 camry. replace the ignition barrel. ive heard this is a pretty common problem for our age of camrys. it shouldnt cost anymore than AU$30.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the replys. I have two keys - one is an original but brand new condition, the other is worn. They both have this issue... I guess I'll go with the ignition barrel. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts