Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my 88 Camry was having a hard time starting cold so I got a new/used cold start switch. During the replacement process my wrench slipped and cracked off the end of the part *directly* to the right of the switch. I dug through my Haynes manual, but couldn't find what this part is. It's a 3S-FE engine, the part mounts horizontally into the water outlet, between the cold start injector switch and the upper radiator hose. The good news is that the car started right up cold, but I didn't want to run anywhere with this part not working. Someone please help me identify it :)

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
Its a VSV (vacuum switching valve).

If you look under the hood there should be a vacuum hose routing diagram. IIRC its somewhere on the hood. That diagram says what it is, its something like a BVSV (not sure what the B stands for though).

You can also goto the parts dept. at a Toyota dealership and have them look it up in their computers.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,214 Posts
If you don't have emissions control in your state, you can easily bypass that switch with only possible minor drivability issues.

All it does is disable EGR when the motor is cold... connect the hoses directly together and you are back in business.

-Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.