Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the AC on the idle drops to about 500 from 1000. Previous owner said he idled it up to compensate for the drop when running ac. Now the idle surges along with dropping when the AC is on. Any ideas on how to fix?

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
The idle up solenoid may have gone bad it's bolted to the firewall near the RH strut tower. I can post pictures later if you can't find it.

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
Aye your Camry is the same color as mine but your engine bay looks alot cleaner lol

Thanks for the input I'll try to see about finding a new one
The valve bolted to the intake is what usually goes bad, all it does is let in more air so the ECU increases the engine speed. Don't know why the IACV can't do this maybe it can't let in enough air.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,292 Posts
The valve bolted to the intake is what usually goes bad, all it does is let in more air so the ECU increases the engine speed. Don't know why the IACV can't do this maybe it can't let in enough air.
My experience was the opposite. The valve on the firewall with the electrical plug often goes bad. It probably has gone open circuit (easy to test with a multimeter). Hopefully you can find a replacement at the junkyard. They are probably available in parts stores too - it is a common fault.

The valve on the manifold (opposite end from throttle body) is actuated by the electrical VSV on the firewall and is adjustable. Set it so the RPMs bump up slightly (700-900) in gear when the AC turns on. Idle with AC off should be around 700 and should not have been adjusted by the previous owner (supposed to be electronically controlled).

-Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts