Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 Camry 4 cylinder with AC. Has 82k miles on it and has been treated quite well over the years. Recently I had an intermittent problem with my power windows. Eventually they stopped working all together and at the same time both of the retractable shoulder belts stopped working. The passenger side is stuck in the back position and the driver side is stuck forward. I don't know much about cars admittedly, but I believe if pointed in the right direction, I can figure it out.

Is there a common cause for this problem? I found the relay/fuse box most things was labeled. I couldn't find anything that screamed power windows or belts. I checked all the fuses and they looked fine. What should I be looking for? I just had to replace the alternator, and it is the first real part it's had replaced on it since it was bought new years ago.

Thanks for any insight into my problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Broken wires in door jamb

The classic failure is broken wires in the driver's door jamb area. The wires flex everytime you open/close the door and after 21 years of that they finally break. I repaired a number of wires in my parents '89 and helped a friend do the same in his '91. If the sub-harness weren't so expensive, it sure would be easier to just unplug the old and plug in the new.

If you do it yourself, get some wire, shrinkwrap, solder and have at it. Be sure to stagger the joints.

Good Luck - Paul

·
Registered
450 Posts
i had this problem with my passenger side door window. after purchasing the car, it worked with no problems until recently, sometimes, it just wouldn't respond when i used the main switch or the switch on the respective door.

i was gonna diagnose it, but, becuz the door had damage on the exterior ( a hit) i just replaced it with a complete vzv21 (v6 camry prominent) door i got cheap and it worked fine, so i can't say if it was the wire on that door or the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upon further inspection, I did have some damaged wires. If I move them around the windows work again. So now I know how to fix my problem! Thanks for the tip guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts