Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy;

Doing a little of research. I am contemplating building a 4WD for the Texas beaches. I think a small truck would fit the bill just fine.

A few questions:

1. can you swap a stock 89-95 IFS, transaxle and diff from a 4WD into a 2DW frame?

Why bother you ask...? I will be purchasing the complete drivetrain, less chassis. I figure a used 2WD would have less wear and tear that a 4WD

2. Anyone tinkered with the Toyota European 4 cylinder turbo-Diesel before? Anyone attempted a driveline swap into a left hand drive frame? Anyone tinker with the injection system?

3. Who wants to go fishing on the coast this weekend? Hands up!

:lol:

Anyway; thanks in advance. All comments welcome!

Elvis in Texas

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
1. yes but you'll need a WHOLE LOT of new stuff. Transmission, transfer case, axles, front driveshaft, differential, interior parts like center console, and a whole lot of labor. Parts alone would cost anywhere from $2000 for used parts, and who knows how much if you went to the dealer for parts. Bottom line, sell your truck and buy a 4wd one, you'll be much better off that way.

2. are you planning on doing the engine and drive line swap into the same truck?

3. can't go fishing this weekend, im going hunting instead:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
94Yota. Thanx..

BTW, would YotaTech.com be a better place for posting topics like this?

"1. yes but you'll need a WHOLE LOT of new stuff. Transmission, transfer case, axles, front driveshaft, differential, interior parts like center console, and a whole lot of labor. Parts alone would cost anywhere from $2000 for used parts, and who knows how much if you went to the dealer for parts. Bottom line, sell your truck and buy a 4wd one, you'll be much better off that way."

I have not purchased a donor truck yet; still in the research stages. No false starts, low buck all the way. No matter how hard you seal or prep; salt water will win! I figure this truck will only have a 10 year lifespan even with careful prep.

Question; are the 90 to 95 4-runners front coil or torsion bar?

"2. are you planning on doing the engine and drive line swap into the same truck?"

I will be using the entire power train from a import Hilux for the swap. Engine, transaxle and diffs. The intention is to locate a unmolested donor truck and swap everything over. Pull the bed off and build a paltform.

"3. can't go fishing this weekend, im going hunting instead"

Bag one for me; I live rual and have to shoo the white-tail deer damn near off the from porch each morning as I head out for work:lol:

Thanx for the answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would not be cost effective. Buy a 4x4 truck. If you do it anyway, do a solid axle swap (SAS) IFS sucks. Try toyotaoffroad.com! search for tech writeup on SAS

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
its actually just alot easier to sell the 4x2 and buy a 4x4, unless you haven't bought one yet??? anyways, if you want the best of both worlds, search for a 85 4 Runner. 22RE(excellent engine, runs forever with min. maitnence), EFI and solid front axle.

On the other hand, if your just gonna be running up and down the beaches, just a 4x4 would work as you don't need to have the added articulation that you would need rock crawling. anyways, just a few thoughts.

heres a link to a SAS if your curious, just buying one would be a ton easier and less stressful
http://www.brian894x4.com/Solidaxleswappt1.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.