Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 89 camry wagon (4cyl). Got it 2 months ago, and it has performed perfectly until today. I was driving home, when the motor just stopped. I tried restarting it, but it just turned and turned, but wouldnt' come to life. The most it did was chug a little like it was going to start and then stop.

Full tank of gas.

Full anitfreeze (no leaks)

Temp gauge was reading normal

All accecories work (radio, lights, horn)

Only thing I can think of is a fuel pump. I've ran out of gas before in my old car, and this one is acting like you are trying to start it on an empty tank.

No "service engine" lights, oil lights, battery lights came on. No warning, just a complete death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
First check that you have spark. If you do crank it, then pull out a spark plug. Look into the chamber w/ a flashlight and see if the piston looks wet. If it does, you are getting fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That poses another problem. How in the heck to I get the spark plug out. It's at the bottom of this deep narrow chamber. My spark plug socket won't even fit in there. I've only driven chevy's before, so this is all new.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I'm not familiar with the '89 but I assume it has a timing belt. Your belt may be worn and slipped a notch or two causing the engine timing to be off or it's broken and your engine won't start. Do you know if the timing belt was ever changed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if it has been changed recently or not. I'll call the lady I bought it from monday and ask.

If the belt broke, would the car still crank? I'm guessing I'm looking at a $600 repair if that is the case.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If your comfortable working on cars its not that hard. I havea 2nd gen also, they are very easy cars to work on. Check to see if the belt snapped or if the water pumped seized.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your help. The car cranks at the normal speed. I took off the fuel filter, (thinking it might be clogged), but couldn't get to the parts store in time for a new one.

The car almost started this morning though. Maybe it was the filter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does it smell like gas when it has been cranking for a minute? If so then your fuel is probably ok.

Could also be the dist cap/plugs. Pull the cap and check out the distributor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I do have fuel pressure. I pulled the fuel filter and cranked the engine, and fuel started flowing freely from the line. So that isnt' it.

Where can I find a special spark plug socket that will hold my plug while I pull it out?

Also, how hard is it to change a timing belt/water pump. There is so much stuff blocking the cover? Anyone done this before, and how long did it take you?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
ScottaWhite said:
Where can I find a special spark plug socket that will hold my plug while I pull it out?
Autoparts store or any place that sells tools.

You need a 5/8" sparkplug socket.

Also, how hard is it to change a timing belt/water pump. There is so much stuff blocking the cover? Anyone done this before, and how long did it take you?
Buy a repair manual and read up.

The last time I changed a timing belt and water pump it took me about 30 mins. But the engine was out of the car and on a hoist. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was useless information. Of course I know you need a spark plug socket. The problem is, I don't want to take the cam cover off to get to it. Oh sure, it'll unthread, but then what?

Knowing that it took you 30 minutes to change your belt/pump WHILE IT WAS OUT OF THE CAR does nothing to help me. Thanks for trying though.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Useless information huh? Your the one that asked the question, not me. :rolleyes: :disappoin

And for your information you don't need to remove the valve cover to remove the spark plugs. Thats what a spark plug socket is for. Its a special socket that has a rubber insert in it that fits onto the plug and grips its.

All you need is a ratchet, 6" extension, and a 5/8" spark plug socket.

P.S. You better check yourself, before you decide to flame me again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.