Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gf has a 1989 4 cyl camry she bought off my uncle a month ago.. every once in a while if shes stuck in traffic or at a light or stop sign, the car will feel sluggish from the start and then its all good. I am suspecting the car is starting in 2nd (the gear is in D)... sometimes the O/D light will blink on and off as well but thats rare too. If she drops the car into 1 manually and start off, the car starts in first and shifts fine. The 2nd gear start is just random. Sometimes it wont do it for a week or so and then it'll do it and then wont do it. I'm thinking its something to do with the torque converter maybe? The tranny shifts fine and smooth through the gears.. Its only froma start that the car is giving problems. She can get used to shifting manually everytime in traffic but thats a hassel and since its a auto, she shouldn't have to shift lol. But anyways, the car has 175k miles and was very well taken care of by my uncle.. fluids changed on time as well as maintenance.. He drove like a grandpa... any suggestions to fix this problem would be great! Thanks :)

Bobby

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
Sounds like the torque converter, but I would have the tranny checked. The blinking light you mentioned sounds like the tranny computer needs to be checked too...

Good luck,

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the negative battery cable and pressing the brake.

its free and it might work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm going to disconnect the battery tonight and maybe that will help some.. she said it was running great in the morning.. moody little tranny/converter lol

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
It might not be your torque converter. Get a repair manual and read it on checking your shift solenoids. There are two solenoids. One that controls 1st and 4th and the other controls 2nd and 3rd. If the one that controls 1st and 4th is going out then the car will not start out in first and start out in second. Next time it happens have her see if it will shift into overdrive as well. If it doesn't then you know for sure that it is your solenoid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts