Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 camry with 175K miles. It starts fine and runs great until I get off the freeway going to work every day. As soon as I come to a stop it idles roughly and sometimes stalls. It also jerks when I take my foot off the accelerator. Tonight on my way home I noticed that it started losing power getting on the freeway. I changed the gas filter thinking that was it, but it didn't make much of a difference. I also changed the air filter and oil. I'm not much of a mechanic past tune ups so if anyone could share their thoughts I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try this tip

The problem could very well be 1 or more dirty injectors. Try having the injectors inspected for sevicability and if still in good condition, have them cleaned. With your miles travelled, depending on fuels used over the years, deposits can build up on injectors and can cause similar issues to what you have experienced.

·
Registered
312 Posts
there is 2 things that will make u stall when gettin off the freeway.

1) egr valve is sticking
2) torque convertor not releasing

simple tests is. go under the hood and disconnect the vacuum hose to the egr valve.. then drive your routine and see if its fixed.. this will light the check eng light, but its ok.. when u are done with the test, disconnnect the battery for a minute to clear light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much. I changed all the plugs last week and ran two tanks with fuel system cleaner and high octane gas. It helped with power and I went a few days with no stalling. It did happen again yesterday so I will do what you suggested.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Perhaps your spark plug wires and distributor might need some changing. My car is exactly the same year and mileage as yours. I hope it works out for you.

Keep us updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts