Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my cousin is getting rid of her 89' 5spd Celica GT and is willing to sell it to me for only a few hundred dollars.....I was thinking of buying it for a cheap, fun and potentially quick daily driver/project car. As much as you guys may hate me, my current car is an 02' I-4 5spd Accord with about 9000$+ sunk into it and i just dont feel comfortable taking it to LA for school.
Yes, ive read the past posts and i cant seem to find much on this generation Celica. My main questions are....
1) How heavy is the car?
2) What engines with what power could i REALISTICALLY swap it with that will be powerful, reliable and have decent mileage? (something that has been done before and proven reliable, i dont want some idiot to tell me to swap to an i-force v-8 tundra engine...)
3) I understand this year Celi is a FWD, but how good, or rather how much potential does the suspension have?
4) How is the aftermarket support for this gen?
5) Is it worth rebuilding the engine and slapping some bolt ons on it, or should i just swap it? My main concern is that i live in CA and smog is very annoying. If logical, i would like to swap to a newer model Celi engine so that i can still pass smog.....btw anyone know which engines will still allow me to pass?
6) Quarter mile times?

I appreciate your guy's time, lmk. thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
swaps

The GT came with the 3sfe which only puts down 115 hp and 125 torque, this engine was found in the Camry and is more of a economical motor. The GT-S had the 3SGE with 135 hp, 125tq. The best swap is either the 3SGE or the turbocharged 3SGTE. I've even seen a guy build a custom turbo for the 3SFE, but he blew the engine, but he was pulling some quick numbers. Right now I have the 3SGE with a custom T3 turbocharger. It's pretty quick even with stock injectors which are 295cc. I'm still working on this setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Forgot to add:
1) curb weight is about 2600-2700lbs
2)3sfe, 3sge or 3sgte
3)suspension is very much similar to 90-99 celica except for the front springs are sized differently on the 86-89, KYB AGX will fit front inserts from 90-95 MR2, best to go with eibach pro kit for best ride and reliability
4)aftermarket support is slim but it all can be done. Pacesetter offers headers and exhaust and HKS offers exhaust. White face gauges on ebay. New shifter knob like momo with set screws then cut down stock shifter about 1.5" sits way too high.
5)you could pass smog with about all the engines as long as you keep cat
6) The GT-S with 5speed was 0-60 8.0sec and quarter in 16.0, which was very fast for the time, not bad by today's standards, can be made to go much faster. GT is probably 0-60 9 secs and 17.0 quarter mile. Power to weight ratio of GT-S stock is about 20, with turbo you could bring it down to 14. about same as a 2000 GT-S.

My suggestions, eibach pro kit, good alignment, intake, header exhaust for 3sfe. This would make a decent ride. Or if your really motivated you could swap the 3sge or 3sgte. Or you could turbocharge the 3sfe with the alltrac turbo and manifold and some new injectors. These are fun cars. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
swaps

The GT came with the 3sfe which only puts down 115 hp and 125 torque, this engine was found in the Camry and is more of a economical motor. The GT-S had the 3SGE with 135 hp, 125tq. The best swap is either the 3SGE or the turbocharged 3SGTE. I've even seen a guy build a custom turbo for the 3SFE, but he blew the engine, but he was pulling some quick numbers. Right now I have the 3SGE with a custom T3 turbocharger. It's pretty quick even with stock injectors which are 295cc. I'm still working on this setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please help me and do you also have a tune map set up or anything that can help me to save money to not have to go tune my celica I would much appreciate your wisdom. I have a 1989 celica ST

·
Registered
273 Posts
Swap wise there isn't much. 3s series (BEAMS?) 5s series, 3sgte series are going to be the easiest routes. Overall these aren't sports cars so your not going to get much out of it without dumping lots of money. The 3 and 5 series were great, reliable engines from Toyota.

As for the other member posting about tuning. You are not going to get much from the stock ECU. I believe there are some grassroots tuners that have finally been cracking the stock ECU but most shops will not touch the stock ECU, they will tell you to go piggy back or standalone. This isn't a Honda or Subaru that they can just flash and go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.