Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Cressida a year ago from some kid in Minneapolis. He told me that he had just replaced the head gasket, having the heads shaved, and also the timing belt(s).

The other night I was out making a fast food run and, when I drove up to pay, I noticed for the first time a knocking sound. I paid, got my food, and pulled over under a light in the parking lot.

I then pulled the hood release and stepped out into the subartic conditions synonymous with this region and opened the hood to see what could be the matter. To my surprise, the harmonic balancer was wobbling around!

I immediately reached inside and turned the ignition off. I didn't know what else to do from that point. My Honda was still at my friends where we parked it when we went on vacation. In case it snowed enough for the city to plow, I did not want it to get towed. The Cressida was safe in the garage during that time.

My first inclination was to have the vehicle towed home. I thought about this for a split second, and decided instead to try to remove the belts and see if the balancer would come off. It did. The bolt was still present, but it was unusable. Apparently, the kid who took the balancer off to get at the timing belt destroyed the threads inside the hole of the crankshaft (but I didn't find that out until I had a replacement bolt and woodruff key overnighted from Illinois). I proceeded to get back in the car and drive it the three miles back home.

I attempted the repair, but to no avail. Now the car is just sitting outside in the cold, all alone. I am not going to try to fix it again. I give up. I am now looking to sell it to someone who wishes to attempt to fix it, or who needs a car with a good body on it to make a nice home for their spare motor.

Make me an offer and come get her. If you live near to St. Paul, you will be able to drive it home. Thanks for looking!

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Why not ask a mechanic how much they would charge to retap the bolt hole? It shouldn't cost very much at all. I wouldn't charge someone more than $20 for the time spent--probably around 20 minutes.

And yeah, it's been Arctic around here lately...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts