Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
timmy truck
1989 Toyota Hilux
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have an 89 3.0 hilux with 200k on it it blew the head gaskets and cracked one head and both heads are not usable because coolant eroded away the metal on the gasket serfice anyway got new heads that can be rebuilt they are on there way to the machine shop full rebuild valve job etc.. now my question is if that kind of damage was in the heads would i be money ahead and time ahead to go ahead and do the bottom end and block like new berrings rings ?? what all should i replace at this time as it is all apart right now i will be geting new dual exhaust with crossover along with downey headers also

JC

·
Registered
397 Posts
it wouldn't hurt and will save you from a bottom end rebuild in 3-5 years

·
timmy truck
1989 Toyota Hilux
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya kind of what i was thinking where nad ehat all parts should i replace when i am in there i get it all at employee cost if i can get the parts from there oreilly's that is lol got any recomended and placexs i should stay away from when buying parts ??

JC

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Stay away from oreillys! Don't use cheap parts on these motors, you will regret it.

Rebuild your bottom end using OEM toyota parts

You CAN:
- add oversized valves ( apperantly, engblders 1mm os valves paired with headers showed a 30hp gain, but I don't have charts to prove that)
- Add some nice cams ( go to www.yotatech.com and search "weasy2k" he has good cams)

- go all out and bore out the block .040 and spend a ton of cash on bigger pistons and everything that goes with that.

·
timmy truck
1989 Toyota Hilux
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stay away from oreillys! Don't use cheap parts on these motors, you will regret it.

Rebuild your bottom end using OEM toyota parts

You CAN:
- add oversized valves ( apperantly, engblders 1mm os valves paired with headers showed a 30hp gain, but I don't have charts to prove that)
- Add some nice cams ( go to www.yotatech.com and search "weasy2k" he has good cams)

- go all out and bore out the block .040 and spend a ton of cash on bigger pistons and everything that goes with that.

ok where do i get oem yota parts besides the dealer they are crazy priced here ???

and i dont want to spend ton's of cash on this i am just geting it running so i can drive it i want it to be reliable enought to run probually 1000? in the next year i drive alot !!! no need for HP up grades and what not it was a decent truck before and that was with failing/failed heads when i drove it the head gaskets blew and one head cracked and the previous owner kept driving it for around 3k before it got so bad it would not run that is where i bought it and tore it down to find bad pitting in the saling surface of the head the crack and eroision in the water jackets also one of the thrust plates on the cam was broken off . all of this is why i fell i should do a full rebuild on it but once again as cost effective as possable not 3k dumped into it

JC

links phone # etc.. to parts suppliers would be great

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Well the oversized valves keep the tempuratures in the number 6 cyl down ( a major factor in blowing the hg in a 3.0) Same with headers.

·
timmy truck
1989 Toyota Hilux
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i can see puting in the over sized valves if it will keep the heads from blowing which is why i am using headers and true dual exhaust with a crossover to ballance out the pulse's

where is a good place besides the DEALER to get oem quality parts ??

JC

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
if your heads were erroded that bad check your block also. I've seen a lot of them that needed to be decked due to corrosion at the rear of cylinder #6.

also if the head gasket leaks enough coolant it can create a hydro-lock condition and damage the connecting rod and bearings

·
timmy truck
1989 Toyota Hilux
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok checked the block tonight lucky no erosion at all it was all in the head and head gaskets now while i was down looking over the "mess" i re-noticed all the sensors on this engine which ones should be replaced at this timne to prevent future isues that are hard to fix also i assume i should do motor mounts while it is torn down this far as once the headers are one it looks to be a bit of a pain

JC

·
Registered
397 Posts
if you really like this thing put some new freeze plugs in it too!

·
timmy truck
1989 Toyota Hilux
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ya i do like it and like said will be keeping it for about another year then wil resell it but in that year i will put 100k or more on it so hence the reason for doing it right this time around unlike the PO did :) so far my list is this

NEW
piston's
Ring's
Rod Berring's
Main Berring's
Thrust washer's
Oil Pump
Full Gasket Set
Full bronze frezze plug set
Full timing componet set
Rebuilt heads valve job and ???
Downey header's and true dual exhaust with X pipe 2"

sensors to include

Coolant
Knock
Tps
MAS maybe?

now what else should i be adding to this list ??

as far as the heads i cant find a listing anywhere for cam berrings?? is the any? should they be replaced now with the head rebuild? what all should be done to the heads as far as a rebuild i was going to have new seals put in have them cleaned fluxed and a good three angle valve job done on them anything else ??

Thanks
JC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts