Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 pickup with the 22re im trying to find out if any one here can help me. most people here seem to know what there talking about . my problem is this i bought the truck with a blown head gasket, had the head resurfaced put in a new head gasket, bolts, timing kit that has the steel backed giudes. and now after all that i am still getting oil in the water and vice versa. i am wondering anybody knows a trick to figure out if the head gasket blow agian or if the block is cracked. if its a cracked block does any body have a running 22re laying around cheap. any help anybody can give me would be greatly appeciated. i am getting frusterated with this.:confused:

·
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>
758 Posts
89pickup said:
i have an 89 pickup with the 22re im trying to find out if any one here can help me. most people here seem to know what there talking about . my problem is this i bought the truck with a blown head gasket, had the head resurfaced put in a new head gasket, bolts, timing kit that has the steel backed giudes. and now after all that i am still getting oil in the water and vice versa. i am wondering anybody knows a trick to figure out if the head gasket blow agian or if the block is cracked. if its a cracked block does any body have a running 22re laying around cheap. any help anybody can give me would be greatly appeciated. i am getting frusterated with this.:confused:
Sounds to me that its cracked.. You could probably get what you need on ebay.. If not I can probably get you what you need.. maybe even a complete running motor.. But im in TN and they would rape you on shipping to Wisconsin

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey man how cheap can you get a motor i would rather make a trip to see u and get a motor than to rebuild this one if im better off

·
One with the farce
3,139 Posts
Did your old timing chain wear through the timing cover? If so, that's where it's leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah ive looked on ebay talk about being raped onshipping. i would really like to find out it an't a cracked block but no one can tell be a way to find out for sure without tearing the motor down and having it checked.

·
Registered
245 Posts
did you put in a new timing chain coveror use the old one, as said above it could be the old one leaking.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
only reason you need a new engine is if your block is cracked. id go with the timing chain cover or possibly the gaskets on the timing cover itself. alot of times the chains wear through the cover when the plastic guides break as stated earlier in the post.if your still having the problem after that you may want to check the head for cracks as well as the block if the head checks out ok. you might be better off with a new engine though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the timing cover is fine i looked at it closely when i put in the new timing kit. gastets should be good on the timing cover they were new with timing kit. the head is not cracked, the machineshop checked it but that doesnt mean that when i put the head back on something didnt cause it to blow agian. Ill check the timming cover gastkets though. i actually hope thats it because i hate tearing the head back off. if anybody as anything else the can think of im open to ideas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i looked at the oil and coolant closer theres actually more coolant in the oil than there is vise versa. the timing cover gasket kit is only 6 bucks so i think im gonna give that a try. just incase though any other ideas are still helpful. like i siad i really dont want to have to change motors so im crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well that idea is out i cant get the crank pulley bolt out and ive tried everything so screw it im looking for a different motor. agian if any one has one cheap give me a holler.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
put a breaker bar or big ratchet on the bolt then wedge it against the frame and bump the starter in neutral. itll bust loose. be carefull though the wrench could go flying if you dont wedge it right.

dont let it whoop ya!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill try it, but i have even used an impact wrench on it and it didnt come loose. I'm still lookin for a motor though.

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
most junkyards rebuild the 22r series engines they get. you might try asking around at the local scrap yard. i know it may not be favorable, but if you can't find a solution anywhere else.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
it will get it loose i promise its better than an impact wrench i have an impact wrench that wouldnt budge mine but one bump of the key any it came right off.

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
You might want to look at Car-Part.com. I see lots of 22rec engines in Wisconsin. 2 with blown head gaskets for $150 and $250 each, and it looks like the lowest cost running motor is $450 (but it's high milage). Since you already have the EFI, you might want to consider swapping it over to the 22R in "A" condition with only 102K miles from Roz Auto Salvage in Milwaukee.

If you know your head is good, then you can pick up a block for $100 from Gauger Salvage and Refuse in Arena.. Assumming that's a shortblock, and not just a bare block, you can slap a new headgasket on it, and pass over the head and all the auxiliaries. Should be pretty quick and easy. They've got two at that price. Might be worth a call or e-mail to see if it's a short block or bare block.

OF course, I've never dealt with any of the companies listed there in Wisconsin (I'm in FL), so I have no idea how reputable any of them are, if it were me, I'd rather buy within state than deal interstate..

Hope this helps,

·
I am the ECU
84 2wd
41 Posts
One of the timing cover bolts needs to have the threads sealed.
Could be your source of coolant in oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the starter idea didnt work. i did find a motor with just a few thousand miles more on it. now i just need the money

1 - 18 of 18 Posts