Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car was running yesterday but then died because of water in the distributed cap, I dried it out and now it won't start.

We have spark and it looks strong.
We smell gas but when we pull out the plugs they are dry!

please help!

Also I dont think it matters but the car is on a steep incline facing up.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4AF

If I hit the gas I can see the fuel go it to the carb.
I also made sure that the timing belt was not broken.
All the vacume tube are good and intacked.

I,m out of ideas!

"losing my mind"

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
obviously theres something wrong with the distributor, since the problem started when it got wet/when you fixed it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never pulled them off the cap so they should be fine.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Even if he didn't put them in correct order he would still get combustion.

So you just crank and crank and nothing happens right? Do this, take the air filter off.. and have someone crank while you spray some starter fluid or carb/intake manifold cleaner down the carburetor.. make sure you keep the peddle down like half way or better while you do this.. I'm betting your starting issue has to do with the incline your car is sitting on.

1. You said you have spark
2. Timing belt OK
3. You have fuel

I'm betting the fuel is just puddling at the back of the intake manifold and you aren't getting any into the cylinders.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We now have the car on flat ground and still not a dame thing. I have no started fluid so I will have to run out to the store anf get a can.
We droped a bit of gas in each clinder and tryed to start it and did not get a dam thing.

Do you think that maybe the coil is not giving off enough power for a strong spark? Maybe the water did something to it?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
We droped a bit of gas in each clinder and tryed to start it and did not get a dam thing.
Too much fuel would wet the plugs and denso plugs wont work well at all after they get wet. thats why I'm using NGK now.

·
Banned
245 Posts
NGK's rock.

Hmm.. you might need to replace the dizzy cap and the rotor.. maybe even the wires. The spark should be a real bright blue/white

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spark is bright but maybe we will get new stuff.

Can any one think of any other tips to get it started.

Thanks Guys

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm working on the same car

We took the plugs out. Breather off. Let it sit for a day as we thought it may be severly flooded. Blew out the carb to make sure that any puddles were gone. Fully recharged the battery. Put dry plugs back in. Gave it a shot of quick start (not much). And ---- NOTHING!!!
Fuel is definitly getting to the carb but I don't think that it's getting to the plugs. Is this possible?
HELP!!!
Thanks

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Is it standard or auto?? you could try to jump start it if its standard. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jump Start

It's a standard.
We could try to bump start but is this better than the starter turning it over if the batery etc is up to snuff?

·
Banned
245 Posts
On a standard it doesn't matter.. turn the key over to ON.. don't crank engine tho.

Let it start rolling (I'd imagine rolling it in adrive gear, not reverse is best).. see what happens.. once it starts rolling good enough it'll start to sputter and try to start.. since you are on a hill rolling down you won't need to stab the clutch in right away.. so don't worry about that.. just let it go until the engine cranks up and runs.

Another thing you could do is just take out the spark plugs put them back in the boots and set each plug on the valve cover right over the plug hole.. then start to crank.. if things are working properly you will get big flames shooting out the plug holes!

Another thing would be to remove plugs, give a shot of starter fluid.. don't over do it but don't go to light, into each spark plug hole.. then put the plugs back in and crank away.. if all is working it'll kick over or atleast attempt to.

Same thing with the spark plug deal.. lay spark plugs over plug holes and shoot plenty of starter fluid down plug hole.. start cranking.. flames will shoot out if the spark is good enough. I bet you are just aren't getting fuel into the cylinders and by spraying starter fluid directly into the cylinders and putting the plugs back in you will get the engine to atleast attempt to turn over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Figured it out! Got a used distributor from the wreckers. Put it in and it started right away. Figure it was a faulty coil. Getting spark but not hot enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts