Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a 91 corolla dx gave to me for paying to get it out of impound. It got impounded because the fuel pump went out 5 years ago and the prev owner didnt get it fixed or license the car so the city code enforcement had it towed. My neighbor works for an automotive aftermarket company that makes certain in tank fuel pumps that only goes up to an 89 corolla. SO.. my question is will that work in my 91??? It would be bad to the bone if it did considering he is getting it for me for FREE!!! If any one knows if it will work or what to modify to make it work I thank you in advance for the info

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I believe that it will, but am not 100% sure.
An easy way to verify, is go to an auto parts store and have then pull both numbers up.
If thet are not identical, ask if you can see them both and compare.

You should also expect the possibility that the tank might now be corroded internally, or if the cap was left off, the gas has evaporated and left a tar layer in the bottom. If it is just corroded, it can be cleaned with muratic acid. If it has tar deposits, you will probably be better off getting a complete tank from a salvage yard.

Pull out the fuel quantity transmitter from inside the car, under the back seat, and look inside the tank. You might see a little rust, don't worry about it.
If it is badly rusted, plan on the muriatic acid treatment.
If it has a tar coating in the bottom, don't bother with the new pump, just get a tank from the salvage yard.

I am working on trying to find a tank right now to replace one that has a very thick tar layer that neither mineral spirits nor muriatic acid will remove. The car was parked for several years with gas in it, and no gas cap, so the gas evaporated and left tar.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts