Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here and pretty new to forums in general.
just got a 1989 Toyota Pickup Standard 4cyl 2 wd 252,xxx miles
It has a couple issues and I wanted some trustworthy advise.
Mechanically the truck is great, the guy had it since 1990 and has a huge service record(dude was a Toyota service manager). The only original parts if the Fuel pump and alternator.

My concerns: I checked out everything before I bought it and its in great shape minus 2 things.
1. The front left cab corner has a decent rust spot thats eating away at the lower corner of the outside and the kick plate/floor board. Seems like its onto the mount because the door wants to lift before it latches when I shut it. Im not sure how big the spot is but I may need help finding a replacement bushing and a bracket to replace or weld on. Where would I find bushings and bracket. I will be able to cut the rust out and have "panels" welded back in.
2. 1" wide by 12-16" long rust through on bed just above the rear wheels. That should be easy enough to fill and sand with fiberglass resin.. or should I do something different

this isn't a show truck, however the rest of the body is excellent and she has minimal rust throughout. I want the repairs to be done the right way in order to keep this truck in the best shape possible.

thank you in advance for the advise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New here and pretty new to forums in general.
just got a 1989 Toyota Pickup Standard 4cyl 2 wd 252,xxx miles
It has a couple issues and I wanted some trustworthy advise.
Mechanically the truck is great, the guy had it since 1990 and has a huge service record(dude was a Toyota service manager). The only original parts if the Fuel pump and alternator.

My concerns: I checked out everything before I bought it and its in great shape minus 2 things.
1. The front left cab corner has a decent rust spot thats eating away at the lower corner of the outside and the kick plate/floor board. Seems like its onto the mount because the door wants to lift before it latches when I shut it. Im not sure how big the spot is but I may need help finding a replacement bushing and a bracket to replace or weld on. Where would I find bushings and bracket. I will be able to cut the rust out and have "panels" welded back in.
2. 1" wide by 12-16" long rust through on bed just above the rear wheels. That should be easy enough to fill and sand with fiberglass resin.. or should I do something different

this isn't a show truck, however the rest of the body is excellent and she has minimal rust throughout. I want the repairs to be done the right way in order to keep this truck in the best shape possible.

thank you in advance for the advise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts