Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at first I used to leave power mode on. Now I’ve been pushing the shifter to S mode and up s6 with power mode on as well.

besides possible lost of gas mileage is there any more extra wear and tear on the transmission if I daily drive like this?

·
Limited
1,554 Posts
I haven't had my transmission torn apart to inspect because there is no problem with it after 31 months of driving in S8 every single day. If something happens, I'll post back to let you know.

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
187 Posts
You are doing two separate things - Power mode delays upshifts to about 2000rpm, while S 6 locks out the 7/8 tall gears.
So you will spin more revs which adds to engine wear over time. (uses more fuel and adds to pollution)
If you drive aggressively (which is suggested by the question) then you will also add to tire and brake wear, and to other components in the drive train.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting guess driving in D and power mode is the only mode that’s available with out any real wear and tear to the drive train components

·
Registered
738 Posts
Interesting guess driving in D and power mode is the only mode that’s available with out any real wear and tear to the drive train components
What’s wrong with S8? I’ve been using it from day one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 8 speed transmission. But when I switch to s6 it stops hunting for gears around local driving. It’s more linear and predictable/smooth especially during slow u-turns and the sudden need for passing another vehicle.

But I guess I will just leave it on power mode I don’t want to break this transmission

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
187 Posts
It could be that the 'hunting' or frequent downshifts is because you are in power mode - it wants to downshift to keep the revs up. Try it in D (or S8) with power mode off and see if the hunting goes away.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll try! Because when I got the Highlander in 2017 in D mode it was so annoying to drive felt like there is no torque unless I really push the skinny pedal and when I do I feel the transmission shift some what harsh. Maybe I’ll go back to regular D and see how it feels now since the transmission is more broken in with 21k miles

·
Registered
175 Posts
Regular D mode try to keep your from revving the engine too much at low speed, thus saving gas. Power mode quicken the throttle, so power comes on quicker. Power or saving money, your call.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regular D mode try to keep your from revving the engine too much at low speed, thus saving gas. Power mode quicken the throttle, so power comes on quicker. Power or saving money, your call.
I guess power mode because I use to get 13mpg with my Xterra now I get 16.5 with the Highlander lmao so that’s a improvement. Lmao

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 19 Limited AWD, today was the first day driving in S mode. I always drive in D with Power mode turned on. I live in the mountains so today I was going up a steep mountain and wanted to hold it in 3rd at 3000 rpm’s. All other cars I’ve had in the past when you pushed the lever over it was manual,shift. So today it kept shifting and dropping the rpm to 2000 and the car would lose its forward thrust. I hate that. Came home and read the manual and I’m very let down with Toyota. Now I read that you guys are driving in S mode. Is there anyway to hold it in a gear like going up a mountain?

·
Registered
988 Posts
is there any more extra wear and tear on the transmission if I daily drive like this?
No. Probably less transmission wear because there is less up and down shifting.

No extra engine wear either because 6th gear = direct drive and the final drive ratio (V6) is 3.03 = around 2300 RPM at 60 MPH which is still a leisurely level of RPM for the short piston stroke V6 engine.

Back in the 1970's - early 2000's when some Toyota car and pickup engines had 3 speed transmissions combined with final drive ratios in the 3.42 - 3.52 range and so their engines were almost screaming @ 3100 RPM @ 60 MPH and yet their motors were still running well after 400,000 highway miles with no loss of cylinder compression.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. Probably less transmission wear because there is less up and down shifting.

No extra engine wear either because 6th gear = direct drive and the final drive ratio (V6) is 3.03 = around 2300 RPM at 60 MPH which is still a leisurely level of RPM for the short piston stroke V6 engine.

Back in the 1970's - early 2000's when some Toyota car and pickup engines had 3 speed transmissions combined with final drive ratios in the 3.42 - 3.52 range and so their engines were almost screaming @ 3100 RPM @ 60 MPH and yet their motors were still running well after 400,000 highway miles with no loss of cylinder compression.
I mean hmm.. that would make sense. I like the idea.The Highlander is such a great cuv with one of the best motors just the transmission is so finicky.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So let me ask a different question. A lot of times here in the mountains it drives me crazy with the car shifting from 7th to 8th then back to 7th going up and down the mountains. Should I just drive in S7? Will that keep it from going into 8th?

·
Registered
810 Posts
So let me ask a different question. A lot of times here in the mountains it drives me crazy with the car shifting from 7th to 8th then back to 7th going up and down the mountains. Should I just drive in S7? Will that keep it from going into 8th?
S7 will keep it from shifting up to 8th but will still allow downshifting should the need arise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
S7 will keep it from shifting up to 8th but will still allow downshifting should the need arise.
So back to my first question. Going up that mountain I was in S3 and it was up shifting. I thought it as going into 4th but it was in 2nd and up shifting to 3rd and that was to high for the incline.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts