Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allllllllllrighty, Hello Toyota world.

Just trying to see how possible it is to manual swap the 8th gen V6 Camry. I'm a knucklehead who absolutely refuses to drive auto, and am probably about to spend way too much to swap one into a Camry.
Biggest thing I'm concerned about is the wiring, and passing emissions with no CELs, but I'll figure that out down the line.

I'm trying to pick a tranny, and I think I have options, but I want to confirm it with people who have been tinkering on Toyotas for awhile now.
I come from the Honda world, so coming over to the #ToyoGang is going to have a slight learning curve, but it's all basic principals.

First things first is the Transmission.
I understand our engine is the 2GR-FKS.
In the Honda world, the engine families can mate up with (mostly) the same transmissions.
So for instance, a B20 block (B-series 2.0L) can mate up with a B16 transmission (B-series 1.6L). Aka all B-series engine families mate up with all b-series transmissions.
Is that the same with Toyotas?
Aka if a transmission bolted up to another variant of the 2GR, let's say the 2GR-FE, would that transmission bolt up to the 2GR-FKS? Or would it be totally different?

I know it's possible to swap the 2GR-FE motor into an MR2. The only real 2GR writeups I've been able to find have come from the MR2 community, where they take 2GR-FE engines and swap them into their MR2's for something modern.
(Peep this really cool writeup from Wilhelm Raceworks: 2GR-FE V6 Swap)
Because the old MR2 Tranny bolts up (almost) directly, I would like to believe there may be a more modern FWD manual V6 option for the Camry.

What manual options out there do you see bolting up to the 2GR-FKS?
I understand the FKS just designates fuel delivery features and exhaust design... but does it change the block for that?
I'll figure out axles, linkage, mounts, etc later, gotta get the tranny picked first. Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
12,035 Posts
Lmao, thank you. Just makes me want to do it more.
Good. If you want to do it, nothing but yourself is stopping you. There is little to nothing anyone else can do to help you. This is only self taught because no one has done it. Now you can either come back all triamphly or you can disappear like everyone else who wanted to do something differently. What works, what doesn't work, that is up to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good. If you want to do it, nothing but yourself is stopping you. There is little to nothing anyone else can do to help you. This is only self taught because no one has done it. Now you can either come back all triamphly or you can disappear like everyone else who wanted to do something differently. What works, what doesn't work, that is up to you.
Black waters ahead, roger that. This isn't a matter of "if" to me, just a matter of "when." Let me know if you think of anything that may assist.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Black waters ahead, roger that. This isn't a matter of "if" to me, just a matter of "when." Let me know if you think of anything that may assist.
Nothing. Or just watch an episode of Road Kill or Mighty Car Mods and determine if you can do what they can do or rather have the contacts like they do to determine whether or not this is truly feasible. Like I said, either you will come back triamphly or disappear like everyone else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing. Or just watch an episode of Road Kill or Mighty Car Mods and determine if you can do what they can do or rather have the contacts like they do to determine whether or not this is truly feasible. Like I said, either you will come back triamphly or disappear like everyone else.
Oh I definitely will be. I don't think it's going to be as mechanically challenging as it will be electrical. Having to pass inspection with a manual tranny, and auto sensors obviously not in use will suck spitttttttt. Any CEL light on where I live instantly fails you

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
3,893 Posts
Every time I read a post like this, 2 words pop into my head... troll or fool

By all means, go for it and post pictures of the installation.

Reactions: red_fury

·
Registered
480 Posts
the cost would be more than wat ur car worth, unless u got the tools and the skills to do it. speed academy got a bmw 5speed trans bolt up to a k24(honda) motor in their 240sx car.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Exactly.

This guy can't be for real. It's just too pointless an idea.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Maybe it's gonna be a race car which means wiring doesn't matter. Though like I told OP. Either they will come back triumphantly or they are gonna disappear like everyone else.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good luck if you go for it but I think it's a dumb idea and waste of time/money. Have you driven a Camry yet? I have a V6 xse, "the fast one", and it's by no means a driver focused sport car. 300 HP and 260 ft lbs on paper but it feels neutered. This car is all about a smooth and tranquil driving experience. Get something that comes with a manual if that's a must and build on it.

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
940 Posts
300 HP and 260 ft lbs on paper but it feels neutered.
Neutered sounds a bit harsh, how about floaty and wallowy? :ROFLMAO: from a fellow xsev6.

Also, I really like the manual Accord 2.0T Sport idea.

·
Registered
165 Posts
someone tried this on a 9th gen accord... It was one hell of a read, and ultimately he vanished Deep Deep into it....

·
straight cash homie
21,313 Posts
someone tried this on a 9th gen accord... It was one hell of a read, and ultimately he vanished Deep Deep into it....

Very true about the comment to go buy a second car since there will definitely be some downtime. A tranny swap is no 30 min quick lube job.

·
Registered
2020 SE
146 Posts
There was Gen 1 Scion tC owner who did 2GR-FE swap. He did massive write up on Scionlife.com. It took him about six months to complete. He also had to use multiple parts from Highlander, Sienna, Camry to make it work. He said at the end of the day; it was just cheaper to buy Gen 6 Camry. :LOL:

As for manual; Gen 6-7 Camrys. I can see the possibility because of the Scion tC. BUT... I heard there was small percentage of Gen 6s that were already 5 speeds? Toyota made the decision to dump manuals on Camrys for the Gen 7s.

·
straight cash homie
21,313 Posts
There was Gen 1 Scion tC owner who did 2GR-FE swap. He did massive write up on Scionlife.com. It took him about six months to complete. He also had to use multiple parts from Highlander, Sienna, Camry to make it work. He said at the end of the day; it was just cheaper to buy Gen 6 Camry. :LOL:
He's got a one of a kind tC with a V6, but was it financially worth it, doesn't seem like it.
As for manual; Gen 6-7 Camrys. I can see the possibility because of the Scion tC. BUT... I heard there was small percentage of Gen 6s that were already 5 speeds? Toyota made the decision to dump manuals on Camrys for the Gen 7s.
Yes, the early Gen 6s with the 2AZFE engine were 5 speeds (I tried one myself), and an even smaller percentage of the 2010-11s had the 6 speeds with the 2ARFE. IIRC, there was a Gen 6.5 owner here on TN with a rare 2010 SE 4 cylinder 6 speed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts