Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Phantom
99 celica GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been looking for one of these for a while, I plan to own one by summertime. Anyhow i've noticed that every 4cyl i've seen has a black bumper compared to the v6 chrome bumper. Is this always true? The common problems I am aware of on these is the timing guides going out and the back window rusting. Are there any other details I should know? Any input is appreciated.

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
dont get a v6 unless the head gasket and timing belt have been replaced. i'm a 22RE nut so i'll always say go for that instead, i swear by that wonderful motor

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a '90 22RE 5 spd 4Runner. It came with the chrome bumpers (90% did in US). Black bumpers were on base models with chrome an upgrade like a luggage rack. The timing chains stretches by like 140k miles and if not replaced eats thru the alloy timing chain housing allowing antifreeze to mix with oil which is not good. My rear tail gate is fine but the rear wheel fender arches have some rust in them. The 22RE with 5 spd is bearable in flat areas with minimal loads. Gas mileage never exceed 22 mpg and frequently only 16. The v6 doesn't have much more power, is heavier and is thirsty (12 mpg!). I'd avoid any with automatic transmission as it saps the little HP there.

·
Phantom
99 celica GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a '90 22RE 5 spd 4Runner. It came with the chrome bumpers (90% did in US). Black bumpers were on base models with chrome an upgrade like a luggage rack. The timing chains stretches by like 140k miles and if not replaced eats thru the alloy timing chain housing allowing antifreeze to mix with oil which is not good. My rear tail gate is fine but the rear wheel fender arches have some rust in them. The 22RE with 5 spd is bearable in flat areas with minimal loads. Gas mileage never exceed 22 mpg and frequently only 16. The v6 doesn't have much more power, is heavier and is thirsty (12 mpg!). I'd avoid any with automatic transmission as it saps the little HP there.
thats odd because i've yet to see a 22re w/ chrome bumpers for 90-95, i've been searching almost 5 months now. I have found one now for sale, a 92 4x4 with pretty much everything I wanted on it and in very good shape and well taken care of. The problem is it has 220k miles. Is this too many miles to pay 2.8k? They say it still rides smoothly with no rattling but i'd skeptical. Thanks for the input guys

·
Phantom
99 celica GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 90 runner with chrome bumpers 22re 2wheel drive and a 5 speed toys ota
cool didn't know they existed. Does this mean that there are 22re's with the sr5 package as well? I haven't seen one of these either.

Anyone have thoughts on the 4runner i'm looking at with 220k miles?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Look up book value in Edmund.com or NADA or blue book. My guess is that is top end price charged by a dealer (where they fully recondition and give some short term warrantee). I'd bet its a good $1-1.2k over private party suggested price. Before I'd pay over pvt part suggested price - I'd want to see some history and receipts for parts recently replaced. The 22RE is tough but that is getting near end of its life - unless its been redone and well taken care of. I'd personally look for '96 up. Power of the 22RE is just adequate - gas consumption is not very good either (~14-19 mph-ish on regular). Plus all are down on SUVs now with gas crunch and gas prices expected to rise again. It is 5 spd right? I'd avoid auto on a 22RE for sure.

I think the SR5 was only model back then - no SE or Limited. On mine AC, chrome trim, ADD (auto hubs), radio and side vent windows were options - roof rack, sunroof, running boards, wheel opening trim, alloy wheels (both 15 and 31"), power doors/windows, amplified radio with add-on CD, auto trans were other options. I replaced ADD with manual Warn hubs for better performance/gas mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts