Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '90 Camry w/ 2L 4-cylinder (forgot the engine code, 3-sfe?) automatic tranny (I know, I know...)

The accelerator pedal "sticks" every once in a while. Haven't gone in to take a closer look as to what might be causing it yet. This is a new car to me, so I was wondering if any of you has some experience with this or if it's a common problem? TIA, J

·
Grenaded piston
6,614 Posts
Check the throttle cables and see if their moving freely.

Theres one that goes to the cruise control actuator (if you have cruise control) and another one going to the throttle body.

Also clean out the throttle body with carb / throttle body cleaner (make sure the can says its safe for sensors). Carbon / varnish buildup on it can cause it to stick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my acelerator pedal sticks up after not driving for a few hours on my 89 camry, i have to sort of push it enough to unstick it but not too much or the car revs heaps. i think its the pedal itself, i've tried RP7 to try and loosen it up abit but it hasn't worked, very frustrating especially when starting uphill in reverse and there's a car parked behind me, unstick it too much and i'll floor it into the parked car :mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too am having this problem w/ my '89 Camry. It started happening after I cleaned out the throttle body and attempted to adjust the idle by turning that white plastic screw (it did nothing). I then jerked on the throttle cable a few times to rev the engine, nothing big - then when I put everything back together, the pedal started sticking in the morning and when it hasn't run for a while.

I'd appreciate any insight into fixing this!

·
Registered
26 Posts
my 91 camry used to have alittle bit of stick to the throttle, but after i degreased and washed the engine (i dont recommend this unless you take the proper precautions) its been fine

·
Registered
750 Posts
It is probably the TB. It is hard to clean behind the valve without removing it.

If you want to properly isolate where the problem is, just disconnect the cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts