Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 Camry Blower has a slide switch to adjust fan speed. I never had the lowest speed and I just lost the next speed up. I pulled the glove box and I think I found the resistor or relay, but I am not sure if there's a difference between a resistor or relay. After looking at ebay, I found a part that looked identical to the part i found, but it was called a relay. I also found a resistor part on ebay, which looks different. Fan still works in highest 2 speeds. Please advise.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
those things are always breaking... resistors are the coils.. relay is just all covered you can't see anything...try pulling a few at the junk yard.. my lowest isn't working either

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Yup, your resistors are gone. The resistor block is (as atobe said) the one with the little soldered coils on it; it unscrews from the firewall with one screw.

They're rediculously expensive ($65 at Toyota, last time I was stupid enough to even bother asking), so try a scrap yard. I've got three spares now since they go so often ($2 each at the wrecker's--free for lucky employees like me!).

I have never had a relay go in any of my Yotas. You can see that the resistor is gone by a gap in one or more of the coils. Repair is unfortunately hopeless.

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Here is one for the Camry that has pushbuttons for the climate control:

http://tinyurl.com/yspzyv

You can find others if you spend a few days monitoring, or you can contact the seller and see if he has one for the manual lever version.

Just a note, I have had my 1989 Camry for well over 100k miles and I have never replaced my resistor array. I did buy a used blower motor on ebay for less than $35 USD when my motor finally stopped turning, and I discovered that I had only been experiencing about 60% of what the "new" fan produced for output.

Just get a used resistor block and you're off and running.

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
I've had the same problem on my '87 a couple of times. I used to collect the resistor blocks and have a box full of them. To repair it, I find one that is similiar in # of windings and wire guage, solder on the coil and I'm good to go.

·
NYR
509 Posts
I bought one from toyota ($65) after a couple of the junkyard ones kept going(used is, well...used).....havent had any issues since.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
when i bought my '90 i had very little airflow. i got bored and aggrivated one day in the dead of winter and i pulled the glove box apart and discovered about 5 pounds of insulation inside the blower wheel, damn mice! because of that i dont have low.

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
I pulled twenty (yes, 20) spruce cones out of my friend's Bonneville's air intake. The had been stashed in the air cleaner box by a squirrel, and the sap had almost completely covered the filter element. Unbelieveable what you can find! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts