Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Computer_Doctor
01 Solara Convertibl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I just don't know what to do or why my car is doing this. It is a 90 Camry with 146,000 miles. Never raced or operated or treated roughly. It is a V6 auto and the tranny is out again. If I have it rebuilt this time it will be the 6th time and that is totally ridiculous. Here is the story. The original went out at 90k, ordered a complete replacement from a supplier of used motors, trannies etc. Put that one in and it lasted for another 25k. Had it rebuilt it lasted for about 15k, rebuilt again it lasted about 10k, rebuilt it again & it made it almost 6k. All of the rebuilds were complete teardowns, case cleaned, everything except gears, and valve body replaced, new torque converter etc. Each time the reverse goes out first, it starts slipping after the tranny warms up. When it is cold it goes in reverse good. Well it was but now it slips whether cold or hot. By the way it has been rebuilt by three different transmission shops so I doubt it has been mechanic failure. Something just isn't right and I hate to scrap out such a good car. I was planning on giving it to my 18 year old granddaughter for her to drive to school and work but now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would/will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Gen 2 camry Guru
91 Camry Base
124 Posts
Folks I just don't know what to do or why my car is doing this. It is a 90 Camry with 146,000 miles. Never raced or operated or treated roughly. It is a V6 auto and the tranny is out again. If I have it rebuilt this time it will be the 6th time and that is totally ridiculous. Here is the story. The original went out at 90k, ordered a complete replacement from a supplier of used motors, trannies etc. Put that one in and it lasted for another 25k. Had it rebuilt it lasted for about 15k, rebuilt again it lasted about 10k, rebuilt it again & it made it almost 6k. All of the rebuilds were complete teardowns, case cleaned, everything except gears, and valve body replaced, new torque converter etc. Each time the reverse goes out first, it starts slipping after the tranny warms up. When it is cold it goes in reverse good. Well it was but now it slips whether cold or hot. By the way it has been rebuilt by three different transmission shops so I doubt it has been mechanic failure. Something just isn't right and I hate to scrap out such a good car. I was planning on giving it to my 18 year old granddaughter for her to drive to school and work but now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would/will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Granted the tranny on this car want the greatest this doesn't sound right at all. Have you had the solenoids checked how often do you change your fluid and filter?

·
The Computer_Doctor
01 Solara Convertibl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6th rebuild

Shucks the rebuilds don't last long enough to even change the fluid. When the pan is pulled there is no metal in the pan and the fluid is just as clean and red as when it was put in. As far as the solenoids go everyone has been checked time and time again. There is just no easily findable reason for this too be happening.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a 90 wagon on its first trans with 260k on it, shifts pretty hard but nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking in the wrong place. The overdrive unit in the trans is no good. The scarf seals leak and loose pressure causing reverse to burn out. I have built a bunch of these back in the day. Look at that area and i bet you will find the little problem causing big problems

·
Registered
91 Camry V6 LE
361 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of that before, that is crazy, I hope you find the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts