Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been multiple times where I have been driving on the highway for 30+ miles. When I get off of the highway and get to a stop sign or stop light, the car will shake for a couple seconds. After the car shakes its fine and doesn't do it again.

I would really like to figure out what causes this.

I have a feeling that something inside or around the engine needs to be cleaned/changed. The car had been sitting for almost 2 year and the only thing that I have replaced is the oil.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Do you have a tachometer? My All-Trac used to do the same thing- the TPS had failed in a really bizarre fashion (massive RPM surge while braking but only if traveling in excess of 30mph, idle would drop to ~200rpm immediately after high speed driving, etc.) and it got 100% better when I replaced it. Hopefully Charlie will chime in with a more specific fix.

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
739 Posts
I have a feeling about your feeling that you are spot on. Something needs cleaning, and my thought are the EGR valve.
When the car is at steady cruise, the egr valve opens and closes with throttle. When coming to rest at let's say bottom of an off ramp, sometimes the egr slightly hangs open.
That's a vacuum leak until it seals its self back up.
Completely remove it and clean everything. Especially the orifices.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,093 Posts
Another option is a slight over-filling of the transmission fluid. It cause the trans stick in 2nd gear, causing a low idle that will cause the car to shake. My Alltrac would do it after the first stop after a highway trip.

Check the trans fluid level when hot and make sure it is not over the Full mark.

(warm up car, cycle through all the gears with engine on and stopped P-R-N-D-2-L-2-D-N-R-P, put back in park, then check level while engine is still on)

-Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.