Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CELICA GTS
1990 Celica GTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.... I have a 90 celica gts. The clutch and trans are going on it. So I started looking at getting a clutch on ebay. I noticed that it not only mattered what year the car was made but also the month. I have a parts car 93 celica gts that i wanted to use the trans off that . So two questions Im desperately hoping someone can help me with.

1. Will the transmission from the 93 celica gts bolt right on to my 90 celica gts

2. If I get the clutch should i get one that is listed for fitting on the 93 celica trans or the 90 celica motor.

oh and the two cars have the exact same motors 5FSE as far as i know. have swapped out steering knuckles ect.. and looked at the drive axles and they are the same.
and the 90 celica i want to have running good was made 02/1990 not the same bracket as
from 05/90 as listed with clutches on ebay. the only difference i could think of was the mounting of the pressure plate to flywheel
most the clutches in both brackets listed are same 20 spline and 225mm dia.

·
CELICA GTS
1990 Celica GTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Too many :( 142915m. But I drained the trans oil and it was very clean ... no shaving ..not sticky ect..

Also if it the same trans.. then why would they have different listings of clutches depending on the month it was made.. I called my toyota dealership.. he couldnt tell me too much .. but when he was looking up trans stuff there were different part numbers.. he couldnt tell me what parts were different though.

·
CELICA GTS
1990 Celica GTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What clutch kit should i get then ... one listed for the 90 motor or one listed for the 93 transmission

·
Registered
112 Posts
What clutch kit should i get then ... one listed for the 90 motor or one listed for the 93 transmission
if your using the 93 transmission i would go with a 93 clutch because the splines may have changed

i know that toyota changed them between the toyota corolla and the geo prizm which were both the same car so i always make sure that the clutch disk fits on to the transmission first now lol

·
CELICA GTS
1990 Celica GTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya thats what I thought but both the different clutches are listed with the same spline and same dia. 225 diam and 20 spline. So I thought something might be different with the pressure plate.. like the mounting holes or something... Anyways Ive ordered the clutch listed for the 93 trans. Just pulling the trans out this week..

·
Registered
1991 Celica GT
8 Posts
I believe the celicas made in the early 90's, before April 90 used a different release bearing for the clutch. Check your manufacturing date on the driver's door panel. The clutch itself is the same for all celicas 90-93

1 - 7 of 7 Posts