Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to toyotas, but know my way around a car pretty well. I am working on fixing a few things on a friends 1990 corolla DX, just need some guidance.

1. Leaky Valve Cover Gasket - I see the valve cover is held in place by the 4 large nuts around the spark plug wells. Is there anything else that needs to come off to replace the gasket or other tips I should know?

2. PCV Valve - Where is it? :whatthe:

3. What is it? Does this plug go somewhere? I cant seem to find where it's mate is.

4. Thermostat - Is there anything special about replacing the thermostat, or is it pretty straight forward as they usually are?

5. Was told the car failed emissions because it is running hot. I am attributing this to the thermostat first off. Is there anythign common that I shoudl be looking for as a cause to this problem?

Overall the car runs Ok, slightly rough idle, nothing major. Just need to fix these couple of things so it can pass emissions testing.

Thanks for your help.
Robert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1992DX said:
lol what are you talking about it failed because its running hot, If it was running hot the car would start smoking etc... you got a bigger problem then that. Check the o2 sensor and exhaust.
Just repeating what I was told by the owner. I am talking hotter than normal, not hot as in overheating *shrug*

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
806 Posts
Your coolant then...need to be flushed.....thats it lol.....or you have a leak eeeekkk:thumbdown which is very bad because the head out be cracked and you coolant is leaking out of it? it could be a number of things take it to a shop....best thing to do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.