Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Cressida that the key wont turn at all its like i have the wrong key but know its the right one. And i have to turn it to acc. to replace tumbler. any ideas? thanks

·
'90 Cressida
200 Posts
you could try spraying some dry graphite lubricant in there to see if that frees things up a bit. also if you're just getting the key stuck in the ignition, thats part of the interlock. just rock the wheel back and fourth while attempting to turn the key to off. its in the manual somewhere.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
^like he said. the steering wheel is probably sitting on the interlock. rock the wheel while turning the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have wiggled the steering wheel while trying to turn the key that doesnt seem to help. i have sprayed some ford lock penetrating oil in it also but i still is like its the wrong key. is my only other option to drill it out?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
I have wiggled the steering wheel while trying to turn the key that doesnt seem to help. i have sprayed some ford lock penetrating oil in it also but i still is like its the wrong key. is my only other option to drill it out?
DRILL?! whered you get that idea? woudln't that kinda destroy the whole thing?

take it apart and take the cylinder to a lock smith with your key and tell them to make the cylinder fit the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do i take it apart if i cant turn in to acc. position to get it apart? every book i have looked in says i have to be able to turn the key to get ign. lock cylinder apart or to remove ignition switch. since i cant turn it i got no idea what next. i have had to drill some lock cylinders out of fords before i just didnt want to do that if i dont have to.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
pull the dash apart. the black panel the ign cyl is in just pulls off, the panel below it unbolts, hood around the gagues unbolts, the gauges unbolt, then you can get at/around the ign cylinder. beyond that, I don't know. looking in the book, it looks like once you get the combination switches off and unbolt the steering arm from the rack, there's 4 nuts from underneath that hold the whole column and ignition switch in. the ignition switch assembly as attatched to the side of the steering rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That happens occasionally in my car, too. Just step on brake, try to jiggle the steering wheel and slightly slide the key out while attempting to turn... it eventually does. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do i take it apart if i cant turn in to acc. position to get it apart? every book i have looked in says i have to be able to turn the key to get ign. lock cylinder apart or to remove ignition switch. since i cant turn it i got no idea what next. i have had to drill some lock cylinders out of fords before i just didnt want to do that if i dont have to.
Dude, before taking it apart, have you tried to push the release button while turning it (assuming your Cressida has a key-release button). I had a 1990 Camry with the exact same problem, and I almost got desperated before I tried that trick...it worked! I hope it works for you too

Kurt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts