Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am looking at purchasing a 90 Corolla GT-S and the seller claims that it needs a clutch because it pops out of 4th gear.
I do not believe that it is the clutch and think it is something internal, but was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and how they fixed it?
Thanks in advance for any help/input,

Tye

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hmm interesting. The common gear these transmissions pop out of is 5th gear. To me, hearing that 4th pops out is odd.

I to agree that the clutch does not cause this problems, but rather is a worn internal detent. Not sure that it has been fixed (5th gear pop out) as it is commonly believed to have been a design flaw of the C50-C52 transmissions.

Others may have more to say. I'm am not as experienced as some others here.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Best way to fix an internal trans problem is to replace the trans. you can replace the clutch and stuff while you're at it :)

How much is he asking for the car?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i wish fixing gears popping out of where they are supposed to be is as easy as a clutch. chances are if its doing this, it most likely has bad syncros. yes the other gears are prob going out soon too. rebuilding trannys is not so bad if you have access to a press and manual. if you ever rebuilt a c52. you will realize that all the new syncros you order are revised. this is to try and fix the problem they had with the older syncros.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Where in Canada are you? I have a spare C52 and I might have a C56 transmission soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! The guy has either sold the car or is not answering his e-mails. The car is cheap enough for me to be interested in and I have a couple of lines locally for a transmission for cheap. So if this guy ever gets back to me, I am certainly going to look at this car.
You all will know if I snag this deal because I will be on here all the time asking questions.
BTW, I'm in Alberta.

Tye

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I bought this thing tonight and the clutch is definitely gone in it, but I was able to get her home. It does indeed pop out of 4th only, so I think I may just look for a replacement tranny for it while I'm in there doing the clutch.
Excuse my ignorance, but does the engine and tranny need to come out as a combo, or can the tranny come out by itself?
I will be buying a haynes manual tomorrow but figured I'd ask here anyways.
Thanks for any and all help,

Tye

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its either worn shift dog keys/springs and possibly the syncro ring where the dog keys should lock into. This isn't a job your going to tackle at home without a press and the correct gear pullers. Its not really all that hard if you can follow directions and have the equipment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm "Balls Deep" into this tranny removal and I can say that I was not expecting this much hassle. Do you really need to take apart the exhaust and the main cross member that the lower control arm connects to? If it wasn't for that rear mount with the studs that go through the main cross member, I would have had this thing out in no time!
The front mount was completely shot, and there was only about 500ml of black fluid in the tranny, so it looks like I will just replace it rather than patch this thing up.
Does anyone out there have any tips or tricks in removing these trannies without removing the main cross member and the exhaust?

Tye

·
Mr. Nice Guy
1991 Corolla GT-S
644 Posts
you dont need to remove the exhaust... at least not if its stock anyway.. you do have to remove the cross member

if you need a c52 for cheap i will be pulling mine out later to put in a c56 but that might be a few months down the road, im guessing you want to get this done fast... if you don't well wlmk

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
just replace the whole thing... look on RWD forums as the ae86 guys usually swap 20V motors and don't need the FWD transmissions, so you could pick one up for $80-100... don't pay anymore than that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts