Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my interior fan for heat only works on super high. The low , medium medium high, don't work.

I have the push button LE style controls. I just lost 2 fan speeds in the past 2 months. Maybe I need to replace the center console fan selector?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have an 88 Camry LE. Low fan speed didn't work. The fan resister coils break. Low speed goes first as its the smallest of the coils. Then the next bigger coil is the next fan speed. If you remove the plastic kick panel thats under the glove box on the bottom of the dash you'll be able to see up under the dash. There's the fan blower resistor. It's black, about 1.5 by 2 inches. One screw holds it into the Big white plastic heater/AC blower fan box. A wiring harness plug goes into it. If I was seat cushion I'd see it lined up approx. with the bottom right of the glove box. I took mine out a couple days ago. I twisted the broken resistor wires together and then soldered them. Don't know how long it will last. I need to do my mother's 87 Camry too. I'm tempted to make my own coils if I can find out what kind of wire to use. Kinda like those electric bathroom heater coils. The best fix for another 15-20 years is to spend $65 at the dealer and put it in yourself and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This problem is normally with the Fan Speed Resistor. It is a separate piece, not part of the fan or the controls.

Kep

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks to this thread I was also able to get my fan speeds working again :)
I just got some old house fuse wire and tried to guess the right thickness and spun it around a pencil to get a coil the same size as the one that had broken, then just soldered it on and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"This auction is for a good fan resistor from a 1991 Truck. This will fit ALL Trucks from 1989 to 1995 using this style of fan resistor and 4Runners from 1990 to 1995."

I bought the above resistor for a 91 truck, thinking I could unsolder these coils and solder them to my '91 Camry DX resistor base. The base is a little different but my wires plug into the truck resistor and the truck one fit into the space on my Camry, though not precisely. The truck one works fine in my car without any new soldering or coil changing. Cost was $2.25 plus $4.00 shipping from E-bay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts