Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was reading the other day on somebody's page on car domain that he had 9005 silverstars modified to fit into the sockets for the low beams for the camry. And that he used another set of 9005s to fit the high beams. I was just reading in camry faqs that the spec for gen3 camrys are 9006 for the low beam and 9005 for the high beam. Before I did that I was careless enough to get two 9005s (philips blue something i think) and actually was able to snap them into the low beam sockets with no mod. It's been working fine for the past 3 days, but I am wondering if it's going to cause any long term damage to the headlights or the fuse itself. Can anyone caution me on this? Thanx.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind i just fully read through smokingtires's thread on this. looks like the wiring on the camry can take 65W just fine. umm... well, I still do sincerely consider any feedbacks regarding the situation.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It may make people on the highway a little bit mad, but then again, stock high beams on the camry are like half as bright as a mercedes benz stock projector headlight low beams.

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
I've had 9005's in my low beams for a couple years now.
No problems. Only been headlight-flashed by some old guy on a well-lit city street :rolleyes:
Gives great useable light on the two-lane heading into the boonies where I live.
Combine the lows with real high beams and my 55W driving lamps, and whoo hoo, it's like daylight on the dark roads.
I don't drive with all that on in traffic though - I'm not a fool.

Cheers,

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
did you read it on my site?...yeh...you jus have mod them to fit...no big deal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great. Thanx guys for the input. Now I can rest assured the lights won't burn out while I am driving. Yay, deer in the street!!!!

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Has anyone tried this on a vehicle with plastic headlamps, ie yr 2000 or newer Camry?

Someone told me I might damage that little reflector thing in front of the 9006 bulb on teh low beams.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i had them fine but i used them with a set of ebay bulbs and i think something in side arked and but the socket a little. but i still think that was my fault in moding and using cheap bulbs. never had anyone flash at me. and the gen 3 were plastic except for that little reflector thing ... so the answer for your question is i dont think it would do any thing too much more since it's only 10w more draw on current and it lets more light out since the end's arent painted over. now if you were using something like a 9011/9012 setup would cause more damage since they are a much hotter bulb.

also has anyone been able to get 9011/9012's?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts