Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 91 NA 5sgte, and one of my friends has a 91 3sgte with only 60K on it. He recently bought a stage 4 clutch for it and it wasnt installed properly and tore the hell out of the hell out of hte crankshaft and flywheel. The internals are all good, the problem is outside where the crankshaft meets the flywheel. They both need to be replaced. Instead of bothering with it (he just bought a 94 single conversion t70 supra) he said he would sell the parts i need to swap mine to a turbo for only 200 bucks (its also got a turbo xs blow off and a boost controller). Does anyone know how much this would cost to fix this? If possible i would like to find someone with a parts car and just buy it that insead of new because from what i hear its extremely expensive to replace a crank shaft. I also would need the flywheel too. The clutch i believe is still good, so a flywheel that would match up good with a stage 4 clutch wouuld be better than stock anyway. what does everyone think of this??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also my car is around 250,000 now, so im really needing a new engine lol

·
jdm 2nd gen ftw!
mr2 turbo
265 Posts
hmm you could but you may need to get upgraded parts and put in his tranny or get another 1 and put his engine in, and damn 250k lol how is the body under the car lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hes giving me the tranny with it along with every part that i would need for the swap, the underbody of my car is in very good shape, besides the plastic falling off lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For $200 it might well be worth it, but if the crank is bad on the engine then expect the bottom end of the engine (connecting rods and main bearings plus the main crank shaft pullies on the front) to need opening up and the crank shaft either machined (if possible) or (more likely) replaced. It's a big job and you may find other problems (costing more money) as you go.

If you need someone elso to do all or even part of the work, I'm not sure if the project would make sense for you. The cost of fixing everything plus doing the swap could get expensive very quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Exodeus said:
but then again once you spend all that cash you have a turbo engine..soooo..=D
Agreed - One thing I consider a warning sign, though, is that if you have to ask if it's a deal, you may lack the knowledge and/or experience to make informed decisions along the way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not that i dont have the knowledge to do it, i lack the tools to do it. Hes giving me everything for the turbo swap along with the engine (tranny, axles, wiring harness, ecu... so on) and the engine is complete with the bad crank and flywheel. I was thinking would it be cheaper to just buy an engine (stand alone) and just put it all together that way? Ive seen the 3sgte by it self go for anywhere from 700-1000 which would put my swap to a total of 900-1200 total. plus install would be 800-1000 (i just dont have the tools for it) that would be 1700-2200 total for the entire swap. I talked to the guy who looked at it, and he said that the crank runs about 400 and the flywheel runs bout 380, plus labor would set it up to 1000-1500 total w/o install.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Given those constraints, I'd agree with you about buying the 2nd engine. If you can the cars swapped and on the road for $2200 parts and labor then you're doing well. I would make sure the electronics have all been carefully considered as well - it would be bad to have everything almost done and get then have the guy doing the swap not know what's doing and start billing hourly to get the car running right at the end...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts