Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my cam staying in fifth gear. When I put it in fifth it will stay, but the second I put my foot on the gas it pops out into neutral. All the other gears work and stay. I took it into to the transmission place and they could not find the problem. Can anyone help me?

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Does the engine move around alot? Perhaps under torque, the engine is moving enough so that its pulling on the shifter cables. Which would mean, a busted engine mount.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
if the mounts are ok and the shifter bushings are solid with no slop where the cables go onto the trans, get ready to replace 5th gear, i had to do it last year and its easy, you dont even have to pull the trans out, get with me on this if you have chat

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
I'm not sure this will apply to your Camry, but I had a similar problem with my Toyota pickup truck (see signature block below for the particulars) a while ago.

Turns out there was a resin bushing that sits at the bottom of the stickshift lever. I had to pull out the stickshift lever and put in a new bushing (the old one was disintegrating).

End of problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts