Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 91 Camry LE 156K miles, 4 cyl. It worked great on the test drive. Yesterday I drove it for ~50Miles and 3 times during the trip it momentarily lost power (tach went to 0 and check engine light came one) for several seconds. It then came back to life like nothing happened. This happened at while on the highway so I was coasting until it restarted. I don't remember hitting any bumps to cause this to happen. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the ability to check the code. The check engine light is only "on" while the engine quits (for the several seconds) but goes back off after the engine comes back to life....maybe it's possessed:lol:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,209 Posts
You can easily check the code yourself. There is a connector in the engine bay - you just put a jumper between two of the terminals, turn the key to the 'on' position (don't start the car!) and the check engine light will flash in a sequence that will tell you the code. You can buy a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual if you feel up to checking it out yourself.

Sounds like a problem w/ your ignition system, but it could be any number of things. Good luck.

-Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, the sequence was like a flashing light....when the check engine light came on, while i had the problem, it was like when you go to start the car and all the lights are lit before you start it and then once it is started they all go off. does that make sense?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,209 Posts
Probably the issue is that the engine stopped moving. :) (thus no current being supplied by the alternator, thus all the lights coming on) You can remove the alternator and check the brushes and shaft to make sure that they are within spec.

The real issue is probably something else, now that I think about it.... I just don't have any other suggestions.

-Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.