Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, I've recently got a 91 camry 4 cyl for free. It was sitting in my parents garage for the past 7 years. Anyways, it hasnt been run for the whole time it was there, and it had a half tank of gas, which obviously is bad by now. I removed all the gas, tried some new gas which didnt work (didnt think it would). I dropped the tank to have a look at the pump, sure enough it was completely rusted and whatnot. I replaced the fuel pump and strainer and tried some new fuel and this time it actually started. It cranked just fine every other time but would not turn over. With the new pump however, it started on like the 4th try. I ran it for about 10 minutes, and it ran very good. Really smooth, no stuttering or hesitation when revving or anything like that.

BUT, i did that with the tank still on the ground (connected all the electrical connectors, hoses, etc). I just didnt wanna have to drop the tank all over again in the event that the pump did not work.

Now, however, i put the tank back up and bolted the straps down and all that. I was gonna try taking it on a quick ride, but it would not start back up. Before i put the tank back up, i probably started that thing like 20 times, and every time it started right up, ran just fine (i even checked the charging system and all that, which was surprisingly still good).

What should the next thing i check be? I didnt mess with anything else, just the fuel pump. Why would it start just fine with the tank sitting on the ground but not when strapped back on? Theres a couple gallons in there, so it should be good there.

Also, the pump sounds a lot louder now when i try to start it. Before it would give just the normal small hum that fuel pumps normally do, but now its somewhat loud, like its straining itself or something?

Sorry for the long post, hope someone actually reads through all that!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Sounds to me like either you ran out of gas (they'll do that sort of like hitting a brick wall... just BAM and game over) or you pinched a line when you put the tank back up. Put a couple more gallons of fuel in and see if that fixes it- if not, you'll probably have to drop the tank again to check for kinked lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was somewhat wondering that too, whether i pinched a line or something... Dang, i really didnt wanna drop that tank again haha. I will say that it was rather difficult going back up, although it wasnt very easy to drop either.

As far as the running out of gas, i dont think i did, but i'm not sure. I did try putting more gas in but no luck. Looks like i'll be taking it back down tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.