Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again .91 camry car still won't start and I'm going to need it to start because the apartment complex I live in will call it dead weight and want me to tow it or they'll tow it.
So before it broke the strut a couple weeks ago, it was running fine but I had problem with it not idling, and so as someone on here so kindly said ,to clean the iaC valve and the air intake flap. I did some of that, asked again and was told to have someone with their foot on the gas pedal to do that part of it so it was going to take two people. Having a hard time finding two people, have a neighbor that would do it but it was a matter of when she had time and when the apartment office is closed so they don't see us working on something etc etc a bunch of things and I didn't think anything of it because it was still running even if it was not idling. If I don't keep my foot on the pedal at stops then it would die but it would always start. two weeks later, having started it once in the mean time or a couple of times in the meantime now it won't start . it could be gas, I know it was low on gas the day that I had it towed back here.
it sounds like it wants to turn over, and it does not sound like the battery is going down until a few tries. It's missing either air or gas of course.
What I'm having trouble finding is information or video about the operation of the IAC valve on this car. I saw one for the 2.2 on YouTube but it doesn't look the same but I'm wondering, does the IAC valve on the 2.0 have the same kind of electric valve inside it like it shows in the video that I watched, I watched couple of them . One of them said to remove the hose that goes into the crankcase so that you won't get all that Gunk flowing into the crankcase. But I didn't see that before I sprayed it the first time and I'm just wondering if it's gummed up somehow even further than it was. I have two IAC valves here in my parts box. You know these things sell for 150 bucks? Damn.
Anyway rather than suspect the gas, since it tends to run on fumes if I let it LOL, I suspect that it's just valve since I didn't finish cleaning it. But I don't know. Having trouble getting a mechanic.
I also observe that the plug-in wire that goes to the IAC valve is covered with gunk and of course that's another mystery I suppose. How would I test that or how would a mechanic test that.

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
820 Posts
Sounds like you don’t have gas in the car, starter contacts weak battery. As for Iac it’s most likely not bad.

if you disconnect iac connector I believe computer goes into default settings to start/ run car. Throttle plate might be sticking or the idle bypass needs cleaning.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,622 Posts
If you are cleaning the throttle, you can just hold the plate open by hand (or wedge something there to hold it for you). No need for a second person on a cable-throttle vehicle. That's unlikely to be your issue though.

Don't worry about the PCV hose gumming things up. You have to have it connected for the 3s-fe to work correctly (the 2.2L 5s-fe can be vented, has a different computer system). That's also not the issue here right now.

When you are trying to start it, is the intake system between the throttle body and AFM (silver sensor box on top of the air filter box) completely in place and sealed? If not, the engine will die quite quickly if it starts at all.

-Charlie

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
820 Posts
Looking at the throttle body plate the hole is round. Looking before the throttle body plate at the bottom of throttle body there should be a square hole which has a small air channel around the throttle plate ( air bypass).

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
820 Posts
The iac controls the throttle plate opening and closing along with the throttle cable to gas pedal and a cruise control cable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the throttle body plate the hole is round. Looking before the throttle body plate at the bottom of throttle body there should be a square hole which has a small air channel around the throttle plate ( air bypass).
On the 91?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,622 Posts
The iac controls the throttle plate opening and closing along with the throttle cable to gas pedal and a cruise control cable.
The IAC doesn't control the throttle plate opening, just the amount that bypasses around it...

-Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts