Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 91 celica gt w/turbo swap and the exhaust manifold glows bright red after a 10 min drive the car does not read hot on the temp guage there is no thermostat just a restrictor plate did coolant pressure test no leaks
also ran compression test cylinder 1. 180 2. 180 3. 160 4. 160 and also have bubbling sound in overflow tank but am running staraight water

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
The bubbling sound is normal. It is also normal for the turbine side to glow red, but only after running it for awhile. 10 minutes won't normally do that.
What exhaust are you running? With turbos, it's all about flow.

·
Registered
Toyota Celica ST185
7 Posts
I've heard of people having this exact problem with a clogged cat. Like MR2Jedi said, it's all about flow. If you aren't able to flow the exhaust out properly it will light up the mani bright red.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if trumanpriest is right and you live in an area like oklahoma where you dont have to meet smog regulations and all that i would gut the cat just so you dont have to worry about it

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Note:Remember, gutting your cat is illegal.
BUT, if you do, you will see a faster spool and alittle more HP.
Remember to wear a particle mask and eye protection. The dust from the Cat material is very harmful to your lungs and eyes.
Ultimately, the best solution is a new catless exhaust system-from the turbo to exhaust tip exit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
yeah MR2jedi is right it is illegal in most areas im not sure whether it is here or not but the dont check our cars so untill they do ill be running a gutted cat i need to go ahead and get it dont to my celica before i forget about it

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
We don't test emissions here either. I ran my gutted cat for a few months, then eliminated it and the secondary cat completely.
Now I'm totally catless.
Hopefully, the laws here won't change anytime soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't want to run without a cati, get yourself some acetone cut the cat off the pipe clog one end pour the acetone in and slosh it around for a bit, tip it like a rain stick. pour it out on a stump or something, your cat should now be carbon and oil free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts