Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Celica
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is my first time posting and I really hope you can help me.. I have been looking all over for the original factory stereo that came in my 91 Celica GT-S. But I am having no luck. It's part of the 10 speaker system with the amp under the passenger seat. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Also I've read some posts that stated that your speakers don't work unless you have the original stereo because of the way they are wired through the amp. Is that true? or can I just buy a harness and install a newer deck and still run through the factory amp?

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
91' Celica GTS
208 Posts
The car is wired correctly, you are just missing the Sys 10 Deck, 220W Amplifier and harness. The harness runs off the deck and goes to the amplifier before sending everything to the speakers. There is a grey unused plug located in the lower right behind the deck for the door panels.

I tried running an aftermarket stereo using the OEM amplifier. The two adapters made are missing a couple of connections for dimming and antenna control. In the end it became too much of a pain in the ass to try and make the amplifier work with an aftermarket deck, so I just rewired and installed my own under the seat. It is doable, you just get to solve the wiring mystery, and it isn't made easy. That harness messes with your head.

You will be way more happy with this option, especially if you go the route of Dolby Surround. At least the Sys 10 amplifier looks retro.

PS> I have the Deck, Amplifier and Harness if you are really interested in doing it. I need to ebay these things.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Celica
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is wired correctly, you are just missing the Sys 10 Deck, 220W Amplifier and harness. The harness runs off the deck and goes to the amplifier before sending everything to the speakers. There is a grey unused plug located in the lower right behind the deck for the door panels.

I tried running an aftermarket stereo using the OEM amplifier. The two adapters made are missing a couple of connections for dimming and antenna control. In the end it became too much of a pain in the ass to try and make the amplifier work with an aftermarket deck, so I just rewired and installed my own under the seat. It is doable, you just get to solve the wiring mystery, and it isn't made easy. That harness messes with your head.

You will be way more happy with this option, especially if you go the route of Dolby Surround. At least the Sys 10 amplifier looks retro.

PS> I have the Deck, Amplifier and Harness if you are really interested in doing it. I need to ebay these things.
Really? I would just need the deck and possibly the amp. The harness is still intact in the car. I'm unsure if the amp still works as there was no deck or speakers in the car when I bought it. How much would you want for it??

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Celica
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was thinking but I read some peoples comments that the amp and speakers won't work unless you have the original head unit. I don't really want to go and buy a new amp but I am having a feeling that I might just have to..

Can you install an aftermarket deck and harness to and still be able to utilize the original amp?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Since you gonna rewire all the speakers why do you care about the stock amp? Bypassing the stock amp will only bypass the 2 door speakers. Follow the stock radio harness down and you'll find another connection tied to the body. It will be the one that you can plug aftermarket harness into. I don't think its too hard to run wires to the door, right?

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Celica
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was hope to just do a plug in and go thing.. But I am thinking that I am going to just rewire and install a new amp.. Was just kinda hoping for an easy fix kinda deal..

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
By you time you pay for a stock head and all the speakers, you're much better off with a new system.
You don't need a new amp with new head. The head will run front and rear, just no sound from door. I'll remove the front 4" and put some 6.5" in the door and wire them as front channel. I've blown enough of those tiny 4" already.

·
Registered
1991 celica gt
419 Posts
my 2 cents

i got a newer soney expod replaceing my tape deck (yuck) i got 2 10 inch soney explod subs mounted in that flimsy hatch back hinged pice fit perfect
then i screwed the amp onto the back of the back seat then because i dont feel like hearing a used car comercial with full bass i put a power switch in the center counsole the only thing i think it needs is the tweeters behind the mirrors it sounds great with 4 small stock speakers and 2 10 inch subs

toyota has allways put good sound systems in theyr cars and a stock system looks good if your into that

·
1992 Celica
1992 toyota celica
3 Posts
Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i can get the cd deck out?Is it screwed in somewhere?
I know thisis probably a stupid question :)

·
Registered
91' Celica GTS
208 Posts
1) Carefully pull up the shifter cover. There is a snap in each corner.

2) You will see two screw at the bottom of the radio cover that were under the shifter cover. Remove them and carefully pry at the top of the cover above the radio to remove the 2 snaps. You can let the cover hang with the cigarette lighter and ash tray light, or disconnect the wires and pull it completely off.

3) You will see the radio is anchored by 4 screws that hold a frame, remove them and slide out the deck.

4) Remove screws and the wire harness holding in your deck.

5) Replace with something that has a removable faceplate, as it is pretty easy to steal what ever you put in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts