Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i take the rear end drive shaft out and only have front wheel drive will i be saving gas or will it drive funny? thanks

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I might be wrong, but I don't think you can just take the drive shaft out. I think you will probably need to swap the gearbox/transmission to a FWD unit.

That will probably save you a little weight, but I doubt enough to make a noticeable fuel saving.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya. i wish theres a way i can drop my rpms down cause its at 3500 rpm at 65mph not complaining its a great car!

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
What gearbox or transmission do you have?
3spd, 4spd, 5spd?

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
3500 RPM at 65 mph sounds like the differential ratio in that gearbox is the same as the GT-S. That is close to the RPM/mph ratio I had before I swapped in the 7A-FE engine with it's gearbox. Actually I had somewhere near 3700 at about 70 mph, I never checked it at 65.
Now it has dropped to 3150 RPM at about 70 mph, and my milage has gone up by about 2 mpg.

If that is the case, then swapping in a 5 spd gearbox from a regular FWD sedan should give you about the same change I got.

Just guessing. :dunno:

·
Registered
Corolla Alltrac SR5
28 Posts
Lol, flashmn..."Here we go again." sorta. If you swap out the gearbox, you need to change the CV joints too, the splines are different. Oh and to lower the rpm at the 5th gear might need to think about finding a different gearbox with lower gear ratio like Donald talked about. Then hope it all fits. If you want a FWD, just sell the alltrac and be able to afford two regular FWD corollas...Im sure theres plenty of people that wouldnt mind having an alltrac that has awd still in it. Just my two cents.

·
All We'll Drive
88 All-Trac wagon
653 Posts
If you want a FWD, just sell the alltrac and be able to afford two regular FWD corollas...Im sure theres plenty of people that wouldnt mind having an alltrac that has awd still in it. Just my two cents.
This. There aren't that many of these All-Trac beauties around as it is, leave it alone! I know someone in the Tampa Bay area who would love to buy an All-Trac wagon, especially since it's a 5 speed manual.

On a side note, if I'm allowed to mention this... it's too bad the All-Trac forum sort of vanished. It's been down a few days now. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts