1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the auto world!!!

91 corolla, 4 cld, 140000 miles, automatic

This morning the car started nicely and as i moved to about 100 feets, the engine lost power. Full acceleration would not help (would not move forward). I could hear a clank sound as soon as this happend from the rear of the car.

I was able to take to it back by pressing and releasing the gas pedal in quick succesion. This gave very little power to the engine, but managed to take it back.

Interestingly, the power to the engine seems fine when the car is in the Park position. It shows full life when i press the gas pedal.

Also, the check engine light came for a brief while.

Please help with what could be the possible cause and resolution.

Thanks

CHeerios!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pineapple!!!

R works. But now even in Park, the power is dying on me. There is little or no power when I press on gas pedal. The engine hesitate as if its missing. And if left without giving any gas pedal, the engine dies altogether.

Could it be that there is no proper fuel supply to the engine or there is a clog somewhere between the fuel tank and engine; fuel pump?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Maybe fuel, maybe ignition, maybe something wrong with tranny.
Mine got a lose wire and won't down shift sometime.
Vaccum leak will cause high idle on 4A-FE and irratic idle on 4A-GE.

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
try...........

try checkin the tranmission oil filter if thats dirty then change it and then check the pressure in each cylinder
:D

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Vaccum leak will cause high idle on 4A-FE and irratic idle on 4A-GE.
Would also cause erratic idle on a 4A-FE, high HC, wrong mixture, hesitation, loss of power. Take your pic. Because you are adding non metered air into the engine.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Not on the FE since its MAP. All leak will be metered and engine will run fast all the time. Idle will be high.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Not on the FE since its MAP. All leak will be metered and engine will run fast all the time
Yeah thats what I heard being said before.. turned out it was an intake leak causing it... this was with a 3S-FE with a map. Doesnt hurt to look, now does it?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Must be leaking on one of the vaccum hose. MAP hose leaking would be bad.
Get a can of throttle body cleaner, start the engine, spary it around the intake manifold, vaccum hose. If it stall where you spary, there is your leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts