Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a "Turbo XS Manual Boost controller" on my 1991 MR2 and now everytime im driving i get a fuel cut. This is the only modification i have, i have tried tighting all the hoses and so on... what can the problem be???

·
Registered
3 Posts
zenen diode mod like $1. and the fuel cut is 13 psi. if you wnat to ahve a fuel cutt wich is safer get the hks it is adj you can have your fuel cut anywhere you want 17.5 tahts safe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rainforestsw20 on 2002-05-28 11:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you want you eliminate fuel cut all you have to do is block the vacuum hose that leads to the boost pressure sensor.
Bingo. I was hoping someone was gonna say that. The map sensor is located on the back of the wall toward the trunk, sortta near the intake manifold. Just disconnect the vacuum line and block it with a bolt or something and viola no more fuel cut (however you stock boost gauge wont work anymore.)

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,643 Posts
Doesnt the boost pressure sensor do other functions besides just fuel cut? Wouldnt that be imperetive to letting the ECU know how much fuel to add.... beacuse when a turbo boosts it creates a lean condition and you need more fuel... if the engine sees no boost then you could run super lean.

·
FRANK THE TANK LIVES!
'91 MR2 turbo
819 Posts
Doesnt the boost pressure sensor do other functions besides just fuel cut? Wouldnt that be imperetive to letting the ECU know how much fuel to add.... beacuse when a turbo boosts it creates a lean condition and you need more fuel... if the engine sees no boost then you could run super lean.
The boost pressure sensor doesn't factor into how much fuel the ecu adds. It simply sends a signal to the ecu to control fuel cut and the factory boost gauge. When the ecu sees 5 volts coming from the sensor, it initiates fuel cut.

When u mash the throttle and u get boost, the ecu dumps added fuel to keep the engine from running lean. This is controlled by the throttle position sensor. When the ecu sees wot, it adds fuel additional fuel, which makes it run pretty rich, but safe from going boom!

I use the vacuum line that originally ran to the boost pressure sensor for my Omari gauge. It eliminates fuel cut, and provides a free/clean line for my gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys got any pics on that sensor and hoses that lead to it. I just got a 3sgte installed in my corolla so the sensor may have been installed somewhere else. Pictures will really be helpful or just a description. thanks guys.

·
FRANK THE TANK LIVES!
'91 MR2 turbo
819 Posts
On the 2nd gen MR2, it sits on the rear firewall closest to the trunk on the passenger side. There is a vacuum line running to the bottom of the sensor coming from the intake manifold. The sensor has "turbo pressure" written on top.

I'll try to take a pic of mine tonight.

·
FRANK THE TANK LIVES!
'91 MR2 turbo
819 Posts
If they are plugged, there's a chance one of them used to run to the pressure sensor. Check for the little black sensor on the rear firewall. If there is an empty nipple on the bottom of it, you won't have fuel cut and your factory boost gauge will be non-functional.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.