Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the sizes and depth of the speakers in the 2nd gen. MR2 models? Also, does someone have a picture of the 7 speaker option on some of the mr2s? Thanks, I need to figure out what I need to buy.

Thanks!

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
i dunno depths...

but if you remove the mount and drill new holes you can fit 5 1/4s in the front front doors. other wise its 4 1/4 that fit in the stock mount.

two 1 inch tweeters

two rear speakers are 4 1/4... i kno that these have a depth issue... i think the factory amp or some computer gets in the way of a deep speaker.

and the factory subwoofer is 5 1/4 too... some models have two factory subs.

but keep in mind every speaker came w/ its own factory amp. which is powered up by the factory radio. so you remove the factory radio you have nothing to power the amps and you have no sound. so you have to run new speaker wire to every speaker in order for them to work.

i have a 7 speaker infinity set up w/ amp... i had no clearance issues w/ depth.

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
my set up...?

i'd have to pull off my door panels and rear panels.

its a pretty simple replacement of speakers.

pull out the old and put in the new. as far as the wiring... run your RCA/remote to your amp. power wire from battery to amp. ground out the amp... then run speaker wire from the amp to each of your speakers.

where you out the amp depends on size... mine had to go in the trunk. full infinity reference component setup w/ infinity 4 channel amp.

because its a 4 channel amp w/ 9 speakers... and i don't wanna overload the amp, i run the 5 1/4 off the amp and the two 4 1/2 and 4 tweeters off the cd player.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,832 Posts
HHHmmm? my '91 has 1 stock amp .It's the rear panel behind the driver's seat. Drew is right about the door speaker. I replaced mine with a 5 1/4. I also replaced the stock subwoofer. I think it was 6". But it was 3 yrs ago.. not real sure..I got it from the stealership. $160.00 fricken dollars!!! It sounds good for what it is. But if you can find a suitable replacement, I would do it.

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
140 Posts
Just go to www.bestbuy.com and click on ELECTRONICS and click CAR AUDIO & VIDEO and then scroll down, and the box on the bottom left click where it says FIT MY VEHICLE and then "BAM".

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
140 Posts
"takes a bow" Thank you, thank you, I'll be here everyday.

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
lol...

you kno when i first got my car i couldn't get the head unit i put in to power up...

i brought it to an independent car audio place and they couldn't get it to power up.

then i brought it to tweeter... they said they found 3 factory amps... but couldn't get them to power up. but they got power to the head unit...

i took it to circuit city and they said my car had different amps for each speaker.... couldn't find them all.... i called toyota to talk to a tech and they said they were behind or near each speaker... so the interest of saving time and money i took the car from them and ran new wires from the newly powered up deck to each speaker. i said fuck it.

and then after all that i still couldn't hear it clearly on the freeway... so i had to get an amp for it and re-wire it all again... :) good times

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
and then i fried the amp within the first week... something shorted to ground and cooked the amp... i paid to mail it out... wasn't covered under warranty cause i didn't buy it from a licensed infinity dealer... paid to have it fixed... about a month turn around time... and when it came back only two of the four channel put out... good thing i'm only running 3 speakers off it... so i ran one off one and the other one the other and the last speaker (sub) shares... worked w/o problems since then... been over a year now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts