Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
06 Taco,96 Civic
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im in the middle of making up my mind on this car .! i have an sr5 stock through and through and i was wondering if it was worth overhauling the engine adding performance parts even taking it to paint what do you guys think

i have a friends uncle who is willing to rebuild/overhaul my engine for $1000 even helping w/ a 5spd trany swap all i have to do is buy the tranny

then later on if i really were to decide to keep this car then get a silver top v20 and droping that in there .!

so tell me what you guys thik is it worth all that trouble .?
:confused:

thanks in advance for your input

ghost

·
Registered
79 Posts
so im in the middle of making up my mind on this car .! i have an sr5 stock through and through and i was wondering if it was worth overhauling the engine adding performance parts even taking it to paint what do you guys think

i have a friends uncle who is willing to rebuild/overhaul my engine for $1000 even helping w/ a 5spd trany swap all i have to do is buy the tranny

then later on if i really were to decide to keep this car then get a silver top v20 and droping that in there .!

so tell me what you guys thik is it worth all that trouble .?
:confused:

thanks in advance for your input

ghost

Does your engine need rebuilding? If not, why not save that money into getting the transmission/20v swap. It all depends on what your goals are for this car. Do you want to auto-x it? Daily drive it? Have a daily driver that can smoke b series Civics?

Again, if I were you I wouldn't get the rebuild unless there is really something wrong with the car.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
For $1000, you can buy another Corolla with a 5 speed already in it. Then you've got two cars and don't have to worry about your daily driver being down when the tranny swap takes much longer than anticipated.

Also, swapping a tranny and then swapping the engine later down the road is just a duplication of labor. Might as well do them both at the same time.

My $0.02

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Does your engine need rebuilding? If not, why not save that money into getting the transmission/20v swap. It all depends on what your goals are for this car. Do you want to auto-x it? Daily drive it? Have a daily driver that can smoke b series Civics?

Again, if I were you I wouldn't get the rebuild unless there is really something wrong with the car.
That's my goal!

Save time and money, get the 20V instead of rebuilding. 20V's, with the trans, wiring and ECU, runs roughly about $600 to $1200 depending where you go to buy it and whether it's a silvertop or blacktop.

The trans swap is not difficult at all.

If anything, the SR5 looks a lot better with factory JDM stuff it had from across seas... The Trueno or the Levin/ GTZ front. Factory skirts and wing. With a nice stance and shoes, paint.

·
Registered
06 Taco,96 Civic
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i would like some thing to take out all these rice burners out here (civics) that is my goal i know im reaching but yea i want to do this in a toyota .! that is not mr2 cilica or supra

·
Registered
90 Geo Prizm
131 Posts
well then you picked a good car to do that with, I want to do that myself smoke the little ricers down my street, but my plans are to build an engine and hoping to also use the car as a auto-x. I would highly suggest waiting till you have both engine and tranny to put in and don't rebuild the 4afe unless need be, they can take alot of abuse

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I want to do that myself smoke the little ricers down my street
well a 20V swap wont really make you god of the road, if the ricers have civics with K20 or B16 swaps with over the counter parts, then you're gonna have work cut out for you.

Shoulda just gotten a 500 buck rustang with a V8 and some parts from summit racing and you'd do circles around them ricer civics...

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
it's an SR5, no matter how many $1000's you throw into it... it's still going to be an SR5 with a 4AFE in it.

Be like the ING Direct guy and save your money.

·
Registered
90 Geo Prizm
131 Posts
well a 20V swap wont really make you god of the road, if the ricers have civics with K20 or B16 swaps with over the counter parts, then you're gonna have work cut out for you.
well yea with a 20v yea but I'm gonna build a 7AGZE 16v with a sc14 supercharger, and I am just gonna do that in steps, and maybe go with the 20v head with quad throttle bodys

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Well a 80's notchback mustang is dirt cheap by US car prices and they have way better straight line performance than a corolla to begin with and modification parts from summit racing are of abundance and cheap too. couple of thou will get you CNC ported race heads etc.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
lol so whta kind of car would you suggest ?
my rx-7 could run circles around swapped civics when I got it. now I just laugh at them :) and I haven't put that much money into the engine... most of it is suspension work.

that being said... my corolla crushes most STis and such at an autocross... but it's never going to be that fast in a strait line.

I got my silvertop WITH a manual transmission for $850. I wouldn't bother rebuilding your 4AFE.

·
Registered
06 Taco,96 Civic
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a 80's notchback mustang is dirt cheap by US car prices and they have way better straight line performance than a corolla to begin with and modification parts from summit racing are of abundance and cheap too. couple of thou will get you CNC ported race heads etc.
na i want tuners .! to american but if i were to go american it would have to be a 70's challenger

·
Registered
90 Geo Prizm
131 Posts
just keep the car, the corollas are fun cars to drive i enjoy mine and its got the 4afe with auto, and he could spend like 2500 and have a great car

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
While it's blasphemy to diss midengine layout, we'll overlook that for now.

In my opinion, it comes down to this: unless you lost your virginity in the car and are going to keep it for the rest of your life, it's not worth the swap.

Keep it as a reliable DD and get a project car that comes with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
90 Geo Prizm
131 Posts
well maybe he likes front engine layout over mid better not dissing on the mr2s cuz they are awesome and good luck finding one, but really the sr5 he has is only a gt-s with different drive train, suspension, and no side skirts or rear spoiler so i don't see the reason y not, unless you need the car every day and don't have another then i would just go buy another one and pick one to be a project and the other a DD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts