Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I was curious if anyone has run into this. We are working on my friends 91 Tercel 3EE. The smog shop has failed the car because the EGR is not stalling the motor when the smog tech operates the EGR (either by vacuum pump or manually lifting and unseating the valve. The smog tech said the car should try to stall during that test, but instead the RPMs raise significantly.. We have already had the intake off to clean the passageway. During this we discovered that the EGR port in the intake goes to nowhere on the cylinder head (no passageway on the head). The engine does say JDM and we're suspecting that it might be a replacement engine.

One more thing, the innermost VSV (closest to drivers side) had way too much resistance when checked with an ohmmeter. So long story short, the smog tech said the EGR was acting the opposite of how it should.

P.S. the NOx reading were also very high. Over 650 ppm. ( The maxium allowable was 611 )

Any help would be greatly apprecitated. This one has us stumped.

·
0 Posts
The NOx reading can be elevated by worn ignition components and improper engine timing. I haven't seen an intake manifold without the port on it. Can you post a pic? The VSV resistance should be about 40 ohms, if its much above that, I'd replace it. You can actuate the VSV with alligator clips and battery voltage, connect a vaccum line to one side and blow through it for a more thorough test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts