Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..

I have recently come into possession of a 91 Tercel DX 3sp Automatic, that needs a transmission. Interestingly enough, the original transmission chewed the differential gears out of it.

The unit was replaced, and new axles were also installed. About 6 months later, the exact same thing happened again.

I am curious to know if this is a known weakness in these cars.. I have heard from a couple sources that this was known to happen if drivers of the car were too quick in changing directions. (i.e. drive to reverse, reverse to drive)

This car was given to me, and I am trying to decide what the best way would be for me to proceed. I wouldn't mind finding a donor car and changing it over to a manual transmission, if that would be the best bet, and if it weren't obscenely difficult to do it.

I'm also thinking that I didnt like this car on the highway on the occasions that I had to drive it before the second tranny went. It seems that the gearing is too tall, rpm's too high at 60+ mph. Doesn't seem fuel efficient as it could be...

Are there automatic overdrive units out there that could swap into this application???? I might go that way if it's feasible.

Any recommendations offered would be most appreciated!! This car is in fantastic condition otherwise, and I'd like to get it on the road soon!

Thanks,
JLC

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its really hard to say if they were flawed from the factory or if they were just abused. ALL things considered, the 5-speed is the way to go and yes a swap can be done. I dont know if a 4-speed auto is available or if it will even bolt up. Automatics, if treated right and serviced regularly, will last quite a while, sure you have band adjustments and fluid changes, but they (A132L) are a decent design, just NOT for a performance application.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wonder if there is any fabrication or drilling involved in a conversion to 5spd... hopefully it's just a simple matter of swapping in the parts from a donor car.

thanks for your input!

J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok.. to hell with the conversion. In the end, this is just a beater for me. My truck is currently awaiting further attention this fall as I continue with it's full restoration. I don't need the added work of a conversion.

So this leaves me wondering if I can find a 4sp automatic from another toyota product that will bolt on to my engine.. I just dont like the rpms this turns when at 60 or higher mph....

then again, i'm used to v8's, and never was comfortable screaming these 4 bangers.

..and how do the axles come out of the transaxle on these units? clips? pins?? force?? heheh

thanks guys.

J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts