Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently fixed my fan speed selector switch thanks to Toyotanation! I was able to pick out the burnt plastic and pull up the metal part that needed to make contact with the selector and it works now!

My next problem is that the condenser fan is shorted, and the wiring harness plug that goes into the condenser fan ALSO has continuity! I'm no tech, but I think that means I have a short somewhere down the wiring harness. Any tips on how to locate the short? I also measured for continuity at the Condenser fan relay plug, and I think I was getting continuity from more places than it should have.

I'm starting to think that the burnt out fan speed selector, and the shorted condenser fan and fan plug might be related. If anyone has any advice on the matter, please let me know! this is my work vehicle and I can't afford to take it to a shop, so I have to do it all myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hot side of condenser fan comes from 30 Amp fusibke link underhood fuse block. Ground side comes from condenser fan relay number 2. Pull relay and see if problem goes away.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,713 Posts
Interior blower fan and condenser fan are completely different circuits.

You're going to have to say where you placed the 2 probes to measure continuity for us to say whether it's normal or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hot side of condenser fan comes from 30 Amp fusibke link underhood fuse block. Ground side comes from condenser fan relay number 2. Pull relay and see if problem goes away.
HEY! Thanks a lot! I just tested after removing the relay you mentioned and there was no continuity between the prongs on the harness plug. I could put the relay back and immediately get continuity.

Do I need to replace that relay?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,713 Posts
If you have a short then which fuse is blow?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a short then which fuse is blow?
THE 30 amp fuse in the under hood fuse box looks funky but had continuity. BUT, the plug where that 30 amp fuse plugs into ALSO had continuity among the prongs. tHat can’t be OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,713 Posts
Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing these continuity tests? You can't use an ohmmeter or continuity setting on a circuit with voltage.

The radiator and condenser fans are controlled by 3 relays and the circuit is a bit complex. Without looking at a wiring diagram while you're doing these tests it's hard to say where there should or shouldn't be continuity or voltage.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing these continuity tests? You can't use an ohmmeter or continuity setting on a circuit with voltage.

The radiator and condenser fans are controlled by 3 relays and the circuit is a bit complex. Without looking at a wiring diagram while you're doing these tests it's hard to say where there should or shouldn't be continuity or voltage.
Correct. Need to check wiring for a short to ground on the hot side. High resistance could also be the reason the plug melted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts