Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**1992 Toyota 4runner/SR5**
Just recently took a road trip (approx. 300 miles each way) and rather early into the trip (maybe 100 miles?),I noticed the back window getting "dirty", I went to the back to investigate.Much to my dismay,it was (auto) fluid! Ran my finger over it,it appeared to be tranny fluid.Checked under truck,totally "wet". Checked fluid levels,and,sure enough,low ATF fluid!! Added fluid (and sealant,assuming it might be bad gasket),and moved on.Problem continued,added more fluid and finally made it to our destination.Didn't drive for the next 2 days,didn't see any significant leakage,checked level,not great,but not empty.Cleaned back window,and drove approx. 50 or 60 miles,no residue on window,stopped for bathroom break,checked levels,very low.Back on the road for a bit,back window "dirty" again!! No significant issues with tranny or temps,A/T light came on once,but went away. PS level was very low as well. A friend said I may need to clean the "tranny screen". Can anybody help? Thanks

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I don't see how "cleaning the "tranny screen" (filter) is going to fix a leak.

Instead of using the back window as an indicator, how about checking for puddles under the truck.
Does the exhaust look different from normal?
Does the trans fluid look different from normal? (red)
Hows the coolant level and what does it look like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fourwd1,

Well,that's just it,there aren't any puddles! Because of that,I'm thinking it's a pressure(under load)related issue.

Exhaust? No significant difference.
Fluid color? Red
Coolant?(assuming you're speaking of the radiator)Green,no discoloration.

I'm going to pressure wash the undercarriage,run it around the block and see if I can get a better assessment of what area it might be leaking from.

I did look at the tranny pan and noticed that I have one bolt missing.Hmmm,could it be that easy!?!
Definitely gonna replace that!! But I did see fluid at the bottom of the tranny(engine/tranny connection).Could that just be splash off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tow package? Yes,but I never tow anything.
Other than the dipstick,how do I check level(forward of the tranny)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts