Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 92 V6 4x4 AT (<95k) 4Runner had a little hesitation going on so I dumped 4-5 oz of top oil (lucas) in the gas tank. Unfortunately I did this AFTER filling up with gas. Truck sat all night and I started it and drove 3 miles before the engine choked and stop running. I coasted to a stop, tried starting with starting fluid, no start. I had suspected that the oil dropped to the bottom of the tank and was picked up at the pump undiluted causing fouling of the plugs. I drained a 8oz of fuel, out of the filter, cold start line and injector fuel line. Fuel pressure is good. No Start.
Since then I have swapped out the coil, rotor, distributor. Battery checks fine, I checked for codes (none). The oil issue may have been a coincidence and not the actual problem. I think the issue is down to electrical which is my Achilles heal. Car cranks great, just refuses to fire.
Any suggestions on what and how to check further? Thanks.
Westglen
formerly "Quietgiant"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reply to this old no-start post?
Suggestions? ecu? crank sensor? circuit opening relay??

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Have you verified you have fuel pressure to the fuel rail and injectors?
Do you have spark at the plugs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I’ve been away for a few months and wanted to update my No Start issue.
After all of the above was completed without change in my no start problem, the only logical issue had to be timing.
I drilled an inspection hole in the timing belt cover and moved the timing to TDC and behold! The upper cam timing mark was nowhere to be seen. Upon fully exposing the front of the engine, I found that the timing belt had slipped 4 ribs causing my no start issue.

How did this happen?
Apparently while the truck was parked for a few weeks, a mouse or chipmunk made its way under the timing belt cover and made a home. There was evidence of nesting material, seeds, grain and of course a dried slurry of remains. The mess coated all of the pulleys, belt and casing with disgusting debris. Over time, this caused weaknesses that made failure inevitable. It is amazing that this thing ran at all! I suspect the pouring of top oil in the fuel tank after filling with fuel allowed the oil to sink to the bottom of the tank. It pooled at the fuel pick up. The next day it fed the oil to the injectors. Once the oil hit the injectors the engine abruptly hiccuped. That caused the weak timing belt assembly to skip on the lower crank spline.
So, the cause was in fact a bad timing belt brought on by the sudden stop or engine coughing from contaminated fuel.
After more time and money....All is well and truck runs like new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts