Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Was wondering if anyone has experienced their tranny jumping out of 5th gear and what was the cure. At first it jumped out and I just reshifted and all was okay I thought. Now the only way it will stay is if you hold it in. There's no grinding or anything that sounds or feels out of the ordinary. I have rebuilt several manual transmissions but only american made ones and was hoping for a little advice before pulling this one. The shifter stills feels tight and bushing appear okay in it. This is just your average reg. cab 2wd 4cylinder 22re truck. Thanks for any replies. Andy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I forget which part is the problem, but it's definately rebuild time. Unless you can find a good trans..... BTW, how many miles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill for your reply, wish you could remember which part. It has just over 150,000 on the odometer. Was hoping one of these Toyota mechanics would give me a few "what not to do's" or "what to look fors" before I tore into it. I've got to install paneling for a friend this weekend so It'll be next weekend before I can pull it. Since I'm now a backyard mechanic that's weather permitting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just found out that it's the 5th gear itself that is most likely worn and prolly the operating sleeve as well. We rebuilt a Honda Accord 5 spd tranny last year(ran it out of oil) and 5th gear was toast. The shop spent over $600 just on parts.
Call some wrecking yards and see if they have tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats not good news, but it saves some hassle. Found a rebuild kit on Ebay for $145 but it's just bearings, seals and syncronizer rings. no gears. Already searching for a used tranny online and at the local used parts places. Wish me luck, Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts