Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3rd gen camry
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for those who is wondering how it looks like inside the 5sfe I4 engine(4 cylinder) P/S pump and where does the o-ring and snap ring does go if it missing or forgot where does the rings goes while disassembling or cleaning the pump.

Tools needed:
flat head
rubber hammer
14 wrench
12 wrench
vise grip or big vise clap
dedris free rag or shop rag or your choose
ATF or P/S fluid niether is fine
P/S pump
P/S pump kit (gasket rebuild kit)

1. remove three 14 mm bolts that is holding the bracket to the pump. Blue

2. remove four 12 mm bolts holding the pump together. There is two small bolt and two longer bolt.

3. NO you do not need to remove the pulley from the shaft.
4. remove the copper gasket and do not damage the inside
5. Have the pump sit on the pulley and shaft sticking up.
6. Remove snap ring holding the gears in the center. Purple

7. remove pulley and shaft by pulling it down. Groove is for snap ring.

8. remove gear shell and gear, but try not to spereate the flaps from the gear. ( doesnt damage or hurt the inside if it did fell out, just perfer it not to) and set it to the side.

9. Remove elbow with 12 mm and replace o-ring. yellow

10. remove 24 mm threaded bolt and replace o-ring. Be aware there is a spring and piston in there. O-ring should be. Yellow

11. Place spring and piston back in before threaded bolt goes in.

12. remove the metal inside cover with a flat head and try not to scratch the shiny surface. Replace two o-ring. purple

13. remove pulley shaft seal where the shaft feeds in and replace seal and slightly tap with rubber hammer and even it out as much as possible and flush with the outside. Sorry forgot to take a picture. But #14 and a daigram from the kit showing the entire pump disassembled.

14. Sit pump on shaft.

15. sit gears and gear shell on pump.

16. Place in snap ring. Also making sure the two arrows are facing the same way up like the elbow.

17. Sit the black bannana ring facing downwards on the top.

18. put back on the cover and retighten all the bolts and the bracket and reinstall to engine and test it out. :clap: Here is a full detail for the P/S pump kit. Enjoy.

USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN COST. I TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY FOR WHAT YOU AND WHAT THIS DOES TO YOUR CAR, ENGINE, ETC.

·
Administrator
14,388 Posts
Nice job! I'll add this one to the stickies. BTW, the PS pump in the '92 & '93 with the V6 is different. It's basically two pumps in one, pancaked together. One side runs the hydraulically powered radiator fans.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
my 1989 corolla ps pump had a screen/filter at the bottom of the resivoir (cleaned that up)....

the hose/lines, were a pain to put on after the pump was attached... bleeding the air our took a while... but,,, the Napa auto cheapo ps rebuild -oring gasket kit, which was basically a couple o-rings, made it a rebuilt for $15.00 ( a few years ago) vs, a rew/rebuilt one for a lot more money,, or taking the chance froma junk yard on a used pump... getting to the ps line fittings on the rack was was a pain too.. luckily,, it did not have any leaks... only needed the new o-rings... to make it run like new...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Put the pump back in the camry last night after rebuilding. It works great with no leaks so far. The high pressure hose was a little difficult to get threaded back into the pump but other than that, the job wasn't too bad. A small impact wrench is handy for taking the pump apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for this excellent post and pictures.

Our 92 A4FE PS has no leaks but is belt slipping on steering and I suspect the returning oil relief valve is not working and building up pressure, new belt is tight !

I am considering the option to remove the "bolt" pict 10 to get access to relief valve but would appreciate any information as to why the relief valve would would not open against considerable hydraulic pressure.

Thanks

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
I haven't done so, but if you can disassemble it check the springs and orifice in there. Maybe an orifice plugged up? How's the fluid?

The flow control valve is considered the heart of the pump. Supposedly it's way more sophisticated than the oil pump relief valve. I'm sure part of it functions as a pressure relief valve. If it's bad, you might need to get a rebuilt pump unless you can find one of good condition in the junkyard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi JohnGD

Thanks for that. Screech went away yesterday but back today. Seems to break through back pressure and provides power steering. From further reading I think fresh fluid would be worth a shot.

I posted on the Corolla 6th gen forum yesterday to question whether pump or rack, no responses yet. It has been a short journey car for the last few years. Trying not to spend on it as, if I start, it will be a significant refurb. and I will want to keep it for another year or two !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.