Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 corolla dx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a first post here I will get right to it, this is my car that I drive about 100 miles a day for school. The corolla is a 1992 Dx model with a 4afe mated to a 3spd auto and works great on the I10 freeway in Socal. There are some known issues and a few things will probably show up eventually...Ill try and keep track of what I do to keep the car running and improve ride quality over the next couple years. I got this car in the desert for $300, sold it in 2016 and only recently bought it back with 181k miles. Have it running pretty good with no dash lights on but the camshaft is going to be replaced soon because at one point the cam shaft seal came out a few times.

Repairs:
Replaced transmission at 176k with random pick a part one + cv axles and seals
Fuel pump
Cleaned intake manifold and egr
Various vacuum lines replaced
All broken plastics replaced
3 or 4 alternators

Modifications:
Bt radio and cheapest amazon speakers
Ebay coilovers
15" wheels with 195/45/15 tires (~1" smaller)
Tinted the windows with 5% limo

I have been making parts for this car with my 3d printer but size is limited to about 8 inches. I also am in the process of painting the blue parts on the outside back to semi gloss black. Let me know what you think these are some of my favorite cars!

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,155 Posts
I'm guessing you're already aware that the differential fluid is separate from the transmission since you installed the transmission. With the new drive shaft seals you should be good.

My camshaft seal (old) popped out a few years ago. It doesn't prevent the camshaft from receiving oil. It just allows oil to leak out. I don't think your camshaft would be damaged just from that.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,044 Posts
Your car looks good. I too am liking the stance. I just wish my own car was as rust free as yours. Mines a 92 Geo Prizm with a 4afe and 3 speed combo. It's very reliable, but it's rusty. I like it though.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
I remember seeing these back in HS. Ooops, did I give away my age? LOL.

Nice thing for you, is that you could try to find a prizm and get the parts that way. Since the two are interchangeable to a certain degree. Also, consider the prizm GSi since it had the 4age.

Use row52 to locate AE92 or Geo Prizm GSi close to your home for parts or donor cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
nice car, i think that apartment complex is familiar, i've seen that place somewhere since im also from socal. in my neighborhood, there was a white geo prizm with black wheel, it looks really nice i was about to snap a pic, but now i haven't seen it for a while, i wonder the guy moved or sold the car. but it 's really clean, no ricer mods.

·
Registered
92 corolla dx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the positive feedback everyone!
The engine was driven till the oil light came on (i think it happened twice) by the previous owner so there are some underlying issues. When I pulled the valve cover the lobes on the left side of the cam were looking worn out and I also get a ticking in the top. When the engine is at operating temp then it is noticeably quieter. I have managed to stop all leaks except the ps rack and l definitely checked the diff atf separate! I was thinking about swapping to a manual rack but I am not sure about that. IIRC its just the rack, steering column, and pulleys that are needed for the conversion.
I have also looked into a 4age or even just the head swap but for the effort I think a 7afe would be more worthwhile.
No need to worry about the interior that is staying its stock blue to faded blue color, I really enjoy the minimalist feel of it. The automatic seatbelts must go they are driving me crazy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The engine was driven till the oil light came on (i think it happened twice) by the previous owner so there are some underlying issues. When I pulled the valve cover the lobes on the left side of the cam were looking worn out and I also get a ticking in the top. When the engine is at operating temp then it is noticeably quieter. I have managed to stop all leaks except the ps rack and l definitely checked the diff atf separate! I was thinking about swapping to a manual rack but I am not sure about that. IIRC its just the rack, steering column, and pulleys that are needed for the conversion.
I have also looked into a 4age or even just the head swap but for the effort I think a 7afe would be more worthwhile.
No need to worry about the interior that is staying its stock blue to faded blue color, I really enjoy the minimalist feel of it. The automatic seatbelts must go they are driving me crazy.
or the 5fse from a 97-01 camry( also from 92-97 celica), that engine 2.2 has lot of torque compare to our smaller 1.6 motor. my friend has a 2000 camry 5speed, suprisingly it's pretty peppy, who would have thought a camry being peppy??

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,044 Posts

Yeah, the factory seat belt system is a trip, until you get used to it (if possible). It's the only vehicle I own set up like that. Definitely unique.

·
Registered
92 corolla dx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the factory seat belt system is a trip, until you get used to it (if possible). It's the only vehicle I own set up like that. Definitely unique.
I read that the corollas and camrys that came with airbags in 90-92 also had normal shoulder belts so I will be on the lookout next time at pick a part. I will post details on the conversion if I find the parts. My top seatbelts are getting rotten and have to go eventually or else I would leave it.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,155 Posts
I think the seat belts are like this because a passive restraint was required by law. No airbags means manufacturers needed the automatic seat belts. I just unbuckle both every time. I can't get in and out with it buckled, and I'm worried if it's pulled out too far it won't retract.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,155 Posts
Two buckles is one too many sometimes I just don't buckle to offset the excessive buckles.
Does that mean you leave it buckled or you never buckle it?

It's just a habit thing. I'm not going to save 1 second to risk my life. You can also just buckle it as you start driving or when you give the engine a few seconds to warm up before driving, so no wasted time.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,044 Posts
Does that mean you leave it buckled or you never buckle it?

It's just a habit thing. I'm not going to save 1 second to risk my life. You can also just buckle it as you start driving or when you give the engine a few seconds to warm up before driving, so no wasted time.
I leave it attached at the door, as I can fit thru. This leaves me with just having to clip the lap belt in place. My wife does the same thing when she drives it, or is sitting in the passenger seat, as she uses the belt to close the door.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,155 Posts
Just sharing......this came up on row52.
Wow. It has all 3 transmissions on the same car! I guess that was an option.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts