Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 92 Camary v6 has been in the garage for 2 yrs (255K) and he tried starting the car. Before the car was put away it started fine.

- It has spark
- I don't hear the fuel pump hum when the key is in the run position
- I spayed starter fluid into the intake and it roughly started

I'm assumming it's a bad fuel pump, but I want to make sure. Where can I messure the fuel pressure. Please be detailed I don't know these cars.

Anything other checks I should do 1st before assumming it's the fuel pump.

thx for the help. Much appreciated.

thx

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,522 Posts
You usually don't hear the fuel pump on these guys.

Any Stabil or the like put in the gas before she was put out to pasture? If not, I'd expect that the fuel system (especially the injectors) is gummed to hell.

The FSM at http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen3/eg2.pdf , starting at page 217, has a good write-up on testing the various parts of fuel system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i agree... I would take the line off the rail and see if there is pressure after you turn the key on and back off, Also make sure the ground is good on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx guys..I'm going to run through the test from the manual. Thx for the link, this is really great. there was no stabil, so the injectors may be gummed to hell. How can i clean them, if that is the case?

thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I justr read through the service manual and one of the 1st test I would like to do is measure the fuel pressure from the fuel filter, but I don't special service tool (SST) that is necessary to measure the fuel pressure. Where can I get one? or can I do something else to check for pressure.

Also do you think that a fuel filter can be sooo gummed out that it prevents the fuel from following to the fuel rails. I don't think so because the pressure approx 40 psi would overcome this clog....

thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts